banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finishing/treating rosewood? Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing/treating rosewood? Help please.

So, now I got several rosewood pieces;

-the fretboards of my guitars, AND-

-a very beautiful, hand carved smoking pipe. I think it's rosewood, atleast it's a slightly porous, dark brown open pore wood. That looks like rosewood.

Now, the pipe was all dried up when I got it; so I applied several coats of a natural tar/lindseed oil mixture I got in a tin. Also used this for my Epi's fretboard. The tar/oil mixture is rather fine, though it's maybe not what I'm looking for.

I noticed, that while my Peavey's fretboard is "smooth" and has no open pores; the Epi's board has pores that is filled up with grey/black gunk;
    -and it also gets very "gunky" quick. Is there something that would "seal" the pores, and maybe keep the gunk from sticking so easily?

Regarding the pipe- I want to finish it with a natural oil/laquer , while also being able to polish to the highest shine possible. (with some fine sanding cloth or such)

Any tips on which product to apply; - and how to do it? General 2 cents?

thanks!

-Erl ♪
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Putting tar on fretboard wood seems like a terrible idea to me. I'd assume that this is the cause of your problems with the Epiphone fretboard. If I were you, I'd do a very deep clean of the board with some naptha and a toothbrush/rag to try to remove as much of whatever you put on the board off. If the naptha doesn't get it all off (and it likely won't), then you will probably have to sand it down a little bit to remove that stuff.

Generally, rosewood doesn't need sealing and rarely if ever needs oiling. If you wash your hands before playing guitar you shouldn't have issues with gunk sticking to it.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Most professionals in North America now use Howard Feed'N'Wax to clean fretboards and provide protection to the grain.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I use guitar polish on my fretboards and clean them every time I change strings. Regular maintenance prevents build-up. When I work on someone else's guitar that has build-up, I use a soft toothbrush and some guitar polish to remove it.

Comment

Best just to use plain lemon oil to condition fretboards. It is available anywhere. If you have less than 20 guitars, for only a couple bucks you can get enough to last 10-20 lifetimes..
          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 03-16-2022, 09:11 AM.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Hi Erlend, first i would clean the Epi neck with soapy warm water on a damp rag, this fights the sticky feeling. Than get some naphta, a old toothbrush and a dry cotton rag (old t-shirt), clean out the pores with the brush. Then you can bring tiny bit of light fretboard oil on the rosewood, rub in and wipe off.
            Last edited by hamerfan; 03-14-2022, 09:42 AM.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

The toothbrush for cleaning is a great idea! thanks alot.

-i heard (syntetic) lemon oil, is just mineral oil with lemon scent. And won't work as well as real organic oils. I once had a product called "Fret Doctor", which I actually reviewed here back in... 2005? . That was a very, very good fretboard oil. Need to check if it is still sold.

Any suggestions for finishing the (rosewood) pipe? :o . Got some clear nail polish, lol. But that's way too crude. hehe.

-Erl
              If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

While I understand that most of these fretboard oils are just rebranded "snakeoil", I took my luthiers advice and tried out the PRS Fretboard conditioner. Something is indeed different about tha specific brand of snakeoil, for some reason the wood seems to soak it up better than the other brands I've trie, so I'd recommend that for the guitar.

As for the pipe, I'm hack so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I recall reading that linseed oil can be built up to form a thin finish and then buffed. Maybe Doc or Goob can elaborate on that. I also heard that one has to careful disposing of the rags used, then can self combust under certain circumstances!

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                  As for the pipe, I'm hack so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I recall reading that linseed oil can be built up to form a thin finish and then buffed. Maybe Doc or Goob can elaborate on that. I also heard that one has to careful disposing of the rags used, then can self combust under certain circumstances!
                  Linseed oil (and boiled linseed oil) will polymerize and can be built up into a thin finish with a little work. It's the main ingredient in True Oil, which many have used to finish guitar bodies and necks.

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post

-i heard (syntetic) lemon oil, is just mineral oil with lemon scent. And won't work as well as real organic oils. I once had a product called "Fret Doctor", which I actually reviewed here back in... 2005? . That was a very, very good fretboard oil. Need to check if it is still sold.

Any suggestions for finishing the (rosewood) pipe? :o . Got some clear nail polish, lol. But that's way too crude. hehe.

-Erl
                    It's still available here

Fret Doctor™ preserves and protects wood with a proprietary blend of plant derived oils, emulsifiers, and powerful antioxidants – it penetrates deeply and will not turn rancid.Many fretboard oils are clear and colorless light mineral oil (baby oil) which is not what instrument makers use to impregnate the wood during manufacture. They clog the pores of the wood and hinder moisture transfer – why use itFret Doctor™ will preserve your valuable instrument and maintain the dimensional stability of the wood. Fret Doctor™ holds and buffers the needed moisture level in the wood which retards the tendency to crack and split.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

-Erl
                      Don't get the synthetic kind...genuine lemon oil used for furniture conditioning.

Comment

For the pipe...linseed oil or Danish oil.

Comment

-Erl
                          Don't use nail polish, when the pipe heats up you could be inhaling harmful toxins. Pipes are cheap, throw it in the trash and get a glass or metal pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            Pipes are cheap, throw it in the trash and get a glass or metal pipe.
                            A hand-carved rosewood pipe?! Some are collectible or just things of beauty. They're not just for smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Don't get the synthetic kind...genuine lemon oil used for furniture conditioning.
                              Lemon furniture oil - even when the scent used is natural - is not the same thing as lemon oil.
                              It is lemon scented mineral oil - I used Formby's for decades.
                              Actual citrus oils can degrade wood over time.

I've had good results on fretboards with bore oil / Fret Dr; also with Feed N Wax.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X