Tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuners

This could probably either go here or under pedals but since clip on tuners are becoming hotter now vs pedal tuners, what's everyone's current favorite tuner? The cheap pedal tuner I have now is starting to not function correctly and starting to look for a new tuner.

Are clip on tuners becoming the new "it" tuner and how accurate are they in compared to a pedal tuner?
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

I've got a Polytune clipon and it works quite well. Technically I think it isn't quite as accurate as my Strobostomp pedal (and it doesn't offer the sweetened tunings which are cool) but IMO it's far better than the cheap Chinese tuner on my small board.

It generally travels with my basses, since when I play bass I don't bring a pedalboard, just the 3-way Sansamp bass driver.
    There is occasionally a glitch reading the low E on a bass, but it always reads the 12th fret harmonic just fine.

For some reason I hate seeing a clipon left on the guitar when someone's performing.
    Folks, if your axe drifts badly enough that you really have to keep one on, at least put it behind the headstock.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I recently bit the bullet and got me a Peterson Strobostomp...

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
        There is occasionally a glitch reading the low E on a bass, but it always reads the 12th fret harmonic just fine.
        I had the same issue on my lowB with the PitchBlack Poly. But apart from that it is a great unit too. Actually in ways it is more convenient than the Peterson, but obviously not as precise. If I ever go gigging again, I'm taking the PitchBlack, but for recording I'd go with the Peterson.

Comment

For playing live, rehearsing, recording, a stomp is the only option for me. At home -clip ons are convenient

as for accuracy -A stomp will always be WAY more accurate than a clip on to what you need -as it's measuring what you are amplifying and accounts for any pitch modulation occurring from strumming all the way through the transducer into the electrical controls and path... whereas a clip on has zero knowledge of such -so who cares about the accuracy of how a guitar vibrates through the body unless it's an acoustic only scenario -then a clip on makes lots of sense.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

On my acoustics, I like the D'Addario soundhole tuner. It is accurate and invisible to the audience. I don't dig the giant tuner clamped to the headstock, especially at a live show.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My Zoom has an accurate tuner built-in.

Clips ons my normal Snark was best, seemed to have a 'sweetened' compensation for guitar. I have a D'addario low profile clip-on the is accurate but tends to put the high strings ever so slightly sharp. Not out of tune, but it's a different sound vs tuning with a Snark.

For recording, I use a Boss Tu-12 (or whatever the model was). It has an actual needle so you can actually see when it's in tune.

If I had a Conn, I'd use that. Don't know how good Peterson is compared to Conn, but that's on my GAS list.

Comment

I use the tuner in the H9 it is super easy to access and very accurate. You simply step on both buttons and the tuner comes up. The display is super easy to read. I have a ton of clip ons floating around the house because the H9 is always at the rehearsal space. The Snark is sitting on my desk right now.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

If I had a Conn, I'd use that. Don't know how good Peterson is compared to Conn, but that's on my GAS list.
                  The Conn is strobe too, right? Shouldn't be much difference then.

Btw I was thoroughly amazed when I finally understood how strobe tuners work.

Comment

I have a few clip-on tuners. A Korg Sledgehammer, a a few D’Addario NS2 micro tuners, and I just picked up a Fender Flash from Bizarre Guitars in Phoenix. We’re out here to see family during spring break. Anyway, the Sledgehammer is great. Really accurate. I like the small footprint of the NS2. The Fender is rechargeable.

At home and rehearsal, I’ll use the clip-ons. For on stage, it’s a pedal tuner on the floor. Although, I have used a Korg GA Custom hand tuner sitting on top of my amp fed from the effects send and would simply turn the amp volume down all the way to check tuning. The GA Custom is really great too.

My pedal tuner is a Korg Pitchblack Custom which is a great tuner. Good visibility and accuracy.
                    Last edited by ErikH; 03-18-2022, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

The Conn is strobe too, right? Shouldn't be much difference then.

Btw I was thoroughly amazed when I finally understood how strobe tuners work.
                      Conn is an actual physical strobe with a spinning wheel (just like the outside edge of turntables used to be). Peterson is an LCD / digital recreation of a strobe. I don't know how well an LCD recreation compares to a physical strobe/wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        My Zoom has an accurate tuner built-in.

Clips ons my normal Snark was best, seemed to have a 'sweetened' compensation for guitar. I have a D'addario low profile clip-on the is accurate but tends to put the high strings ever so slightly sharp. Not out of tune, but it's a different sound vs tuning with a Snark.

For recording, I use a Boss Tu-12 (or whatever the model was). It has an actual needle so you can actually see when it's in tune.

I definitely think Snarks are the smoothest operationally for tuning up, I just hate their form factor.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Overall the Diadarrio Micro Tuners are the best -because they are tiny, cheap and work fine and not too accurate to make you chasing pitch variance at a degree that is imperceptible to the human ear.

Comment

IMO, the clip ons are ugly, not very accurate, and can hurt a lacquer finish if left on too long.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                              I just picked up a Fender Flash from Bizarre Guitars in Phoenix.
                              I love that place! I still have an Ibanez shirt I bought there 15 years ago when I visited Pheonix.

Comment

Working...
                              X