banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD - Fretboard "bump" on new-to-me acoustic guitar (MIJ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Fretboard "bump" on new-to-me acoustic guitar (MIJ)

​Hello, World!

New guitar day for me, I was looking for a Dreadnought guitar so I made an offer to a guy, but he rejected it because it was too low. HOWEVER, he was interested in an amp I was selling so we made a deal for his guitar + cash for my amp. In the end, I got this beauty for about 50 bucks...

She is an Aria 9020 Made in Japan! I've read that this is one of the best Martin copies, whatever that means... Plays and sounds great, non-compensated height-adjustable bridge, open metal tuners, one-way truss-rod, and black pickguard. I've read that these models were made in the 90s, but also read that they are from the 70s. Does anybody know about this?

Overall, I am happy with her, only two issues "bother me":
    1. The headstock broke once. The guy said that the guitar fell, but a wood-experienced friend of his recommended glue and advised him how to repair it. It looks like it didn't completely come off, but only opened from the back. It is not the best repair job, but doesn't look to bad either.
    2. There is a small bump near the 15th fret, where the neck meets the body. I tried releasing the truss-rod, but since it is one-way it didn't help much. I raised the bridge and this eliminates buzzing, but now the action is a bit high...
    I believe she has been strung with 10s which is extra light for an acoustic. I think that if I got to 12s which is the standard, the neck should bend/bow and I should be able to straighten it with the truss-rod and thus eliminating the bump. My only concern is if the headstock would be able to take the extra tension, I mean going up from 10s to 12s should be only 20% higher tension. I guess I could also start with 11s and see if it helps.

I've also read that the bump could be caused by too much humidity. Is this true? Otherwise, I could try applying some dry air (hair dryer) and see if it helps. Below is a drawing depicting where the (exaggerated) bump is and how high the strings are (exaggerated too). The dark red line on the left shows where the glued joint is, luckily it didn't break on the neck, but on the headstock, so in the worst case I could glue or bolt on a wooden or metal plate.

Since this is an old vintage instrument (maybe rare?), I would like to keep it and restore it. I am thinking on buying a new compensated bridge, maybe a nut, some graph tech RATIO machine heads (the old ones have a lot of play), applying some liquids to the wood, and of course setting her up with new strings. My main question to you is:
    Is it worth it?
    Or should I just sell it and try to get something better/newer?

I'll post some pictures when I get home, but here are some ads I've found on rever:
    Right from Matsumoku factory. This Aria is one of the best Japanese Martin  copies that we've seen coming through the store (and we had a few). It is also in a fairly good condition, it has been a beloved guitar and very well taken care of. Although it has been used, it does show scratche...

Hello. Due to new acquisitions, I sell my Aria here ... She is in excellent condition. Virtually no tracks. I had a guitar-maker check done for sale: Cleaned and fine oil maintained, mechanics expanded, cleaned and oiled. Bundsticks polished, handmade bone saddle, bone jetty, bridge pins see pho...

Cheers,
    Walter​
    Attached Files
    Last edited by waltschwarzkopf; 03-23-2022, 03:08 AM.
    "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

It is common for many acoustic makers to build that bump in where the neck joins the body. It's some dumb kind of tradition, because last I checked - most folks like to play the entire fretboard, not just the first 5 or 6 frets. Oh, yeah - the truss rod doesn't go all the way to the neck joint. On that guitar it ends around the 12th fret, so adjusting it won't fix the problem. Have a competent and experienced luthier do a spot fret level on it. It's not rare, and not collectable. It doesn't need to be restored. Maybe a new bone nut would be nice instead of that piece of plastic. You don't need the high dollar tuning machines, either. Maybe some good quality Gotohs would be more appropriate. I don't know what liquids you're suggesting, but new strings are a good idea. Doesn't have to be 12's, but if you dig them - go for it.
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 03-23-2022, 07:26 AM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      It is common for many acoustic makers to build that bump in where the neck joins the body. It's some dumb kind of tradition, because last I checked - most folks like to play the entire fretboard, not just the first 5 or 6 frets. Have a competent and experienced luthier do a spot fret level on it, should be around $65.
      Interesting... So you think that changing the string gauge and adjusting the truss-rod may not "solve" this bump issue?
      "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

I'm sure of it. I've been repairing guitars for a living for over 40 years. I was an authorized Gibson and Fender repair center for a long time. I'm semi-retired now, and concentrating on building.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          I'm sure of it. I've been repairing guitars for a living for over 40 years. I was an authorized Gibson and Fender repair center for a long time. I'm semi-retired now, and concentrating on building.
          Wow, that's impressive! Good, then I guess this is not as big of a problem as I thought.

Are you familiar with these Aria 9020 guitars? Would it be worth keeping it and investing in better hardware? Or do you think that is so low-end that it might be best to get something else?

Comment

If it sounds nice, keep it. But it's not collectable. No advice about trading, because no one will want it.

Comment

The 12th fret bump.. Pull the frets and plane the board. If its not extreme, a plek job will fix.

If you like how it looks and how it sounds, then its worth fixing up. Unless you can use it to trade for something you want more.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                The 12th fret bump.. Pull the frets and plane the board.
                That's a bit extreme and would cost more than the guitar is worth.

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                If its not extreme, a plek job will fix.
                If it's not extreme, just a "partial" fret level would take care of it. Again, a plek job would cost too much.

Now, hold onto your seats...I'm inclined to agree with Goober on this one.

Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

What do you mean? Just clean it, put new strings, and maybe a new nut?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Covid, war and now this... We're really nearing the end of the world...

Comment

Originally posted by waltschwarzkopf View Post

What do you mean? Just clean it, put new strings, and maybe a new nut?
                      Doc and Goob are like the main characters from that movie Grumpy Old Men. They NEVER agree.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Covid, war and now this... We're really nearing the end of the world...

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Doc and Goob are like the main characters from that movie Grumpy Old Men. They NEVER agree.
                          I love it!!

Comment

Thank you all for the replies and helpful suggestions. I was playing the guitar yesterday adn it sounds and feels good, so I guess I won't chagne anything for the moment, but I will get it checked by a luthier to be sure.

Below are the pictures I promised.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, that one is definitely a budget axe... and it doesn't need restoring. It's basically a good specimen.

Comment

Working...
                              X