Entry level quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry level quality

Gruhn nails it. I’m only in my 40s but I remember some of those Kays, Danos, and Tiescos that were still floating around in the late 80s. They’re the reason I still have to get past my snobbery, now and then. There are plenty of guys out there sounding great at gigs with cheap guitars, nowadays.

Agree totally.

Today, a 350 dollar Gretsch Streamliner series guitar made in Indonesia plays, looks, and sounds better than any USA made 60s student/economy level guitar.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

i was pretty lucky, my first guitar was a squier ii contemporary strat which didnt totally suck. didnt have an amp for a while but when i did get one, it was a grey stripe peavey bandit 112. guitar was like $200 brand new, amp was about the same used maybe? dunno, been a looong time. but i agree with the premise, even cheap **** these days is pretty damn good

Comment

I wish I could have found a guitar back in the day as good as an Ivy for $170. I played a coworker's Ivy the thing played and sounded great.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I wish I could have found a guitar back in the day as good as an Ivy for $170. I played a coworker's Ivy the thing played and sounded great.

I have one of these, it is an absolute steal of a deal. I put a roller bridge and a set of black winters in mine.

Comment

me too. i was i love with that thing! and really wasnt half bad and had a nice neck

Comment

I’m remembering all the plywood Hondos and pressboard Wishbook guitars…

I’m finally getting myself a P Bass-just a Squier CV 60s-and I am STOKED. Gigworthy out of the box.

Comment

I used to have a couple Teiscos 40-50 years ago...they were pretty bad but the only thing I could really afford. Compared to the IYV (not "Ivy")...well let's just say they don't compare at all. Last month I bought a Iyv thin Jazz Box for about $180 that just blows me away...great looking!! Great playing. Great sounding. And amazing quality for the price.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                  I’m remembering all the plywood Hondos
                  I still surf for those natural Hondo LP copies with maple fretboards just for nostalgia.

I play a couple of Chinese Jackson imports live all the time. $299 - The Floyds work, the necks are fantastic, the pickups are Duncan Distortion like. If there is a problem, it's me, not the guitar.

Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                    Gruhn nails it. I’m only in my 40s but I remember some of those Kays, Danos, and Tiescos that were still floating around in the late 80s. They’re the reason I still have to get past my snobbery, now and then. There are plenty of guys out there sounding great at gigs with cheap guitars, nowadays.

I'd bet no one would ever guess I only paid $200 for my gold top. As well as it plays and as well as it's made, it would never be obvious to anyone, IMO. Solid, full thickness mahogany body, 17.5mm maple cap, mahogany set neck, rosewood fretboard, carved top, bound body & neck, alnico 5's, bone nut, etc... When I got it, it was absolutely perfect. In 16 months, I've done zero repairs. All I've done is put strings on it and play it.

The frets were leveled and crowned, ends were rounded and polished, action was exactly where I'd have put it, relief was at 0 with no buzzing anywhere. I honestly couldn't believe it.

There did end up being a couple of cosmetic issues that I didn't notice until 6+ months later. The first being that the bridge pickup was about 0.5mm off center and the second being that the lower strap button was also installed right of center by maybe 1/8"(3mm?) or less. Neither bothered me enough to care.
                    ​​​​​

That one came from Monoprice.com and they just, released 2 more. Another gold top with P90s and a burst with humbuckers. I'll be ordering the burst soon. I'm kinda worried it won't meet my expectations, though. That gold top is phenomenal and set some really high expectations. The P90 gold below looks incredible, though. I wouldn't mind having it, either. Tbh, I can't really decide whether I want a different guitar with humbuckers like my current gold top has. Or whether I want a 2nd gold top with P90s for a different sound. Different guitar with the same pickups or same/similar guitar with different pickups. Hmmm
                    ​​​​​

It's an Indio 66 DLX Plus from Monoprice. They've got a damn good looking 335 clone, too. It's actually closer to a 339 as far as I can tell since it has a smaller body than a standard 335. Much like a 339. I don't know how their specs Compare though.

Edit: OK so you STILL can't edit posts to add pics?
                    Last edited by Wound_Up; 03-27-2022, 03:27 AM.
                    JC
                    -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                    -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                    -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                    -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                    -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                    -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

And since you still can't edit posts to add pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	610015_05.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	6161251 Click image for larger version

Name:	610015_03.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	6161255 Click image for larger version

Name:	610015_02.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	6161258 Click image for larger version

Name:	6100161.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	6161252 Click image for larger version

Name:	6100162.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	6161253 Click image for larger version

Name:	610016_05.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	6161254 Click image for larger version

Name:	6100165.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	6161256 Click image for larger version

Name:	6100163.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	6161257
                      JC
                      -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                      -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                      -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                      -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                      -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                      -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

If you don't already have a guitar with P-90s I'd say..."go for the gold".

Everyone needs at least one p-90 guitar. Who knows, it may lead to many more.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          If you don't already have a guitar with P-90s I'd say..."go for the gold".

Everyone needs at least one p-90 guitar. Who knows, it may lead to many more.
                          For sure, a unique voice that always has a use.

Comment

Man, I played an Indonesian Epiphone Hummingbird Acoustic yesterday that was pretty incredible. and 1/8th the price of a USA
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post
                              And since you still can't edit posts to add pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	610015_05.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	6161251 Click image for larger version

Name:	610015_03.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	6161255 Click image for larger version

Name:	610015_02.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	6161258 Click image for larger version

Name:	6100161.jpg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	6161252 Click image for larger version

Name:	6100162.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	6161253 Click image for larger version

Name:	610016_05.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	6161254 Click image for larger version

Name:	6100165.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	6161256 Click image for larger version

Name:	6100163.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	6161257
                              Monoprice is sending one of these Goldtops to my blog to review. Maple top and mahogany body for $250 seems too good to be true. I plan on playing it in the office but it will also get a workout with the band. I will definitely post a link to the review when I am done.

Comment

Working...
                              X