Clue me in - all rosewood necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clue me in - all rosewood necks

Possible choice for my thinline P90 project.

Pros and cons?

Thanks.

Heavy, expensive, dark sounding, with good sustain.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I've played two PRS McCartys with solid rosewood necks. Both were exquisite, and almost distractingly amazing to play.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

They look really cool and don't need a finish. The only one that I've played was very heavy and not as snappy as I'm used to in a maple neck.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          I have an all-Rosewood tele. I can agree with almost all this, except mine doesn't sound dark, maybe a touch rolled off on the extreme top-end compared to my ash/maple Highway 1 tele.

You forgot to add "smells like chocolate", though.

Comment

Here it is. I have a Tusq nut and chrome Fender split shaft tuners ready to go onto it.

It shold match the finish on the P90 thinline body quite nicely. That's turning out more rosewood-ey than shiny red mahogany right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	6162786

Comment

Make sure the body is heavy enough so you don't wind up with a neck-heavy guitar. Rosewood can be heavy and dense, but it feels great to play on.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm also an SG owner...

Comment

Best thing I've ever had in my guitar stuff. Mine is not heavy and it's my thickest guitar neck. I should warn you though, you'll be reluctant to hold any other neck.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                    DARK?! Oh hell no. I've got like, 50 solid rosewood necks under my belt at this point. it's everything not dark sounding. Heck, I have even made a few solid rosewood bodies to match up with necks and it's not dark. AT all. It has a warmth to it but is generally very bright. Very bright.

Comment

Well, the neck arrived, and ir seems as dry as a bone.

What would you use to moisturize it? Boiled linseed?

Also, would you put satin polyurethane on the back and buff it down or leave it "au naturel"?

I'm planning on some dark woodsman, wipe in wipe off, to darken up the fretboard. Whaddyathink?

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post

Also, would you put satin polyurethane on the back and buff it down or leave it "au naturel"?

I'm planning on some dark woodsman, wipe in wipe off, to darken up the fretboard. Whaddyathink?
                        Don't use boiled linseed, that'll form a hard finish over the neck.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

^Thanks.

Comment

Look into Fret Doctor, good and light stuff, doesn‘t get sticky or rancid.

Fret Doctor™ preserves and protects wood with a proprietary blend of plant derived oils, emulsifiers, and powerful antioxidants – it penetrates deeply and will not turn rancid.Many fretboard oils are clear and colorless light mineral oil (baby oil) which is not what instrument makers use to impregnate the wood during manufacture. They clog the pores of the wood and hinder moisture transfer – why use itFret Doctor™ will preserve your valuable instrument and maintain the dimensional stability of the wood. Fret Doctor™ holds and buffers the needed moisture level in the wood which retards the tendency to crack and split.
                            Last edited by hamerfan; 04-08-2022, 10:21 AM.
                            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post

Finishing it would cancel some of the benefits of having a neck like that. I have a raw wenge neck. I just clean it once a year. Feels great.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X