Guitar Expose: Kramer Konfidential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Expose: Kramer Konfidential

Kicking off something new. Was working on a guitar this weekend, thought I'd give it's "Life story." So let's dig in deep and explore Steve Dallas' 1988 Kramer ST300H in Fluorescent Yellow

This guitar started life in 1988, as the end of a run of Pacer Deluxe style guitars from Korea between 1984 and 1989. The Striker 300H was available in maple & rosewood necks, and custom colors including this very 80's shred Fluorescent Yellow. The Floyd is a Floyd Rose II. There were a couple of Floyd versions, and three different headstock styles. They came with Duncan Designed pickups in the later years.

I purchased this one from a drummer literally 1.5 miles away, who was getting married and dumping unused gear. I got it for $160 in June of 2016. The bridge pickup had been swapped out from whatever was in there to a Duncan Screaming' Demon. So, a $90 dollar pickup, in a $70 guitar! Here is what it looked like when I got it.

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

And here it is now!

Comment

I replaced the pink knobs and with tip right after I got it. Yesterday I added the pickup covers to the singles. They were not a perfect fit and you can see right near the right poles that I had to shave a little away to get them to fit. No big de3al. On the pick guard right near the screw coil, you can see a little hole in the pick guard. No idea what that is/was. It was always there. The drummer got it from a guitar player who had already put the demon in it.

Comment

The neck is lacquer finished, and has always had this crack around the Floyd screws. I know it will blow someday, but so far it has been solid as a rock. The electrical tape is where I put my hex wrench.

Comment

I accidentally un-grounded it while goofing around with the insides. I also added some electrical tape to the hum bucker for coil protection as the original was getting a little loose. No worries - got it all straightened out. But dang - check out the fade on the finish! Not sure what it is made out of -but not pine. More like poplar or something solid and heavy.

Comment

And here she is doing what she obviously should be doing. No doubt when I'm in a VH mode this is one of top go-to guitars. I love the Demon in here. It got just the right "bite" and crunch. Not a 78' or other VH mojo pickup, but it works! As for the singles, don't know don't care. Never use them. All in all, a well spent $160. Played it out last week, and it doesn't get treated delicately.

Comment

Not a fan of the pink stuff on it but that's a badass guitar otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. 80's View Post
                Not a fan of the pink stuff on it but that's a badass guitar otherwise.
                Well, you know, for what I use it for, the pink works. But I have all the black ones for when I'm not using for that someday. I have to say, it is a bad@$$ little player too!

Comment

For your gig it is perfect.

Comment

Oh yeah - changed out the Tremolo springs yesterday too!.

It only had two springs in it, at some weird angle. I like three springs - one in the middle, and the two beside it on the claw going to the far sides of the block. Just used regular Fender replacements. I just like a little stiffer feel.

Yeah - this and my Nuclear Jackson make a certain visual statement about what's gonna be played out of the gate. Last week I did Turn Up The Radio, Talk Dirty, and Crazy Train right in a row. with that guitar. Also Panama, Never Enough, Rainbow in the Dark, and Edge of a Broken Heart I believe. It felt "right."

It really does feel nice to play. The neck is just right, the waist of the guitar a little smaller. Very comfortable period.

Comment

I hate to say it Ace, but I think you need a pink Demon for it. Or at least a pink cover like Bruce’s photo.

Awesome guitar either way. Does the Floyd II still do the job after all these years?
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Very cool. That particular model is really solid, as long as the body is solid wood. Not all of them were. The Demon is perfect for it.

Comment

$4 for two covers shipped don't cheap out Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            I hate to say it Ace, but I think you need a pink Demon for it. Or at least a pink cover like Bruce’s photo.

Awesome guitar either way. Does the Floyd II still do the job after all these years?
                            I'm not a huge Floyd user, so as far as I'm concerned, yes - it works just fine. I do suspect it spent quite a few years just sitting though. So, not as many miles on it as you would think, and my use is fairly light.

Comment

Working...
                            X