I Don't Need 24 Frets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Need 24 Frets

If I need a note above the high E 22nd fret, I just hit a natural harmonic and pull up on the wiggle stick.

I don't mind 24-fret necks, but I've played 22ers for so long that bending up to that high E has become second nature.

Comment

I much prefer 22 over 24 myself.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        If I need a note above the high E 22nd fret, I just hit a natural harmonic and pull up on the wiggle stick.

How do you do that in the middle of sweeps and speed picked runs???

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

How do you do that in the middle of sweeps and speed picked runs???

With my hair extensions.

Comment

22 here, too. I don't like the sound of neck pickups on 24 fret guitars.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My first guitar was a shredder with 24 so I didn’t know better. I never use the extra couple notes and I prefer the neck tone with 21/22.

Comment

Was there a question?

I only play 24 when working with temperamental singers who keep changing the key. It just doesn't sound good that high. There's no sustain. The amp and effects are making more of the note.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  22 here, too. I don't like the sound of neck pickups on 24 fret guitars.
                  Yep, this is my reasoning as well.

I do like to play up high on the neck pretty regularly, but will sacrifice a couple extra frets for the neck pickup in the right spot. If we're ditching that though, then I'd want to go whole hog and get a neck with more than 24 frets . . . like this Caparison Horus:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Horus-M3-CC-Pink-Sapphire-Front.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	6166251
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I own a couple 24 fretters now, but after 39 years of playing 21 or 22 frets, I am still not prone using those extra two.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                      I own a couple 24 fretters now, but after 39 years of playing 21 or 22 frets, I am still not prone using those extra two.
                      Its like a car. Just because the spedo goes to 140mph, doesn't mean you drive up there very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. 80's View Post
                        I much prefer 22 over 24 myself.
                        I can't handle 24

Comment

I do not seek out 24 frets but there are some guitars that I fell in love with that happened to be 24s. My Ovation Deacon 12 string, Ibanez Roadstar II and my B. C. RIch Acoustic are all 24s.

Comment

Most of my guitars and both of my bass' have 24 fret necks. Only my Squire Strat has less.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't NEED 24 (or even 30!) frets either...but I'm gung-ho about them

Don't use neck pup's much anyway..
                              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X