Great, low priced p90 Gretsch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great, low priced p90 Gretsch

Spring is electric guitar buying time for my new students and one of them just picked up a great gratch that I would like to recommend... Either as an excellent starter, or as a great platform for mods, it's got everything you need to start for $399.

Gretsch G2215-P90
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...rboard/reviews

It looks rather basic but it's incredibly well built.. solid but not ridiculously heavy...great feeling neck with well-dressed friends, etc. Lined up about 15 guitars to compare quality and price and it easily beat equivalent priced epiphones, squires etc.

But the best thing about it is the tone out of the box. The p90 in the neck is perfect from clean to heavy drive and the bridge pickup is a good full range paf style.. not the filterTron thinner tone.. this gretsch compares favorably to my Reverend double agent in many ways and it's a third of the price.

I actually like the volume on the lower bout because I don't hit it so much and the tone control does look a bit lonely all by itself but works perfectly fine.

They kept the price down with absolutely simple electronics (master tone and volume) and a fixed intonation wrap around bridge.

So in this case, it's a superb first guitar. But we also create a lot of "everything" guitars.. the one guitar you can take on stage and get pretty much every tone you need to cover in one guitar.

This will be a great platform for everything guitars. Up to this point we've mainly recommended Jets for 24 3/4 but this one wins if you want to start very low priced and mod everything up exactly the way you need it. P90 and paf size routes are definitely favorable for mods.

And I'll be increasing string gauges on my student relatively soon, so a wrap around intonated bridge might be showing up relatively soon :-)
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

looks cool. very stripped down, but cool. p90 neck and bucker bridge is a great combo. hows the neck shape?

Comment

Working...
    X