TransTrem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TransTrem

I know there are a few fans here… Ate they long out of production? Are there any replicas available or is it buy an old guitar with one as the only option?

As a side note, what string was it designed with to be able to go up a step and a half and down two and a half steps?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

You can probably get a good inexpensive guitar to put in alternate tuning cheaper than one of those.

Weren't those proprietary in Steinberger guitars?

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
      You can probably get a good inexpensive guitar to put in alternate tuning cheaper than one of those.

Weren't those proprietary in Steinberger guitars?
      Yes. I’m just kind of curious about the whole thing. Doing pull-ups and dives all in tune is definitely and interesting sound, almost like a slide guitar.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

There were 3 versions, and yes they are proprietary. You also need calibrated double-ball strings so they stay in tune. Mine was a TT3, on a Steinberger ZT3. Let me tell you, it is a whole new ball game when you can bend entire chords perfectly in tune *and* lock them in place to get to various tunings. Going back to a old-style trem where the strings all move at the same rate is like going back to the dark ages. Thing was, I just seriously hated the rest of the guitar. The TransTrem is an idea that needs to be revisited, though. It is really life changing.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            You already know what got me thinking about them…
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I see your Summer Nights and raise you Get Up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                There were 3 versions, and yes they are proprietary. You also need calibrated double-ball strings so they stay in tune. Mine was a TT3, on a Steinberger ZT3. Let me tell you, it is a whole new ball game when you can bend entire chords perfectly in tune *and* lock them in place to get to various tunings. Going back to a old-style trem where the strings all move at the same rate is like going back to the dark ages. Thing was, I just seriously hated the rest of the guitar. The TransTrem is an idea that needs to be revisited, though. It is really life changing.
                Are they still in production and are they all on guitars for $3000+?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

As far as I can tell they are not in production these days. You'd have to find a used Steinberger, and that is indeed going to set you back $3000+. I've given up ever getting one, even though it is one of very few trems that I would agree offer legitimate improvements on the Floyd Rose.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Not in production anymore. Gibson mothballed the Steinberger brand for the most part, only selling the $300 Spirit models. The TT3 was stock on the $1600 ZT3 model, which they don't make anymore. I still own a Synapse model ($1k), also out of production, but a hard tail. There are no $3k models, and haven't been for about 20 years, unless you get a vintage one. Gibson just needs to sell the brand, really.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X