banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local GC wall models all set up super high. Why??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 out of 7 of the last new guitars/basses I have purchased came from Sweetwater. I will not call them a discount store, but their prices are difficult to beat. Sweetwater has their 55 point inspection/setup based on the manufacturer's specifications.
    I always take any guitar purchase to my luthier for an initial checkout and setup. I am a few hours from Fort Wayne and climate related setup changes really do not occur. My luthier has never found any issues with the Sweetwater setups. So good setups are possible.

I would not expect any climate related issues buying from your local GC. So I would infer the OP's GC is struggling a little with the setups.

I would *gently* mention the situation to the manager. If things did not change, I would look for a new GC to buy from.
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Sweetwater runs its operation from a warehouse. It doesn't have to pay rent for stores and I daresay they don't pat commission on blind click it and buy it sales. And they only have to match or slightly better GC prices to win. QED they can spend a few bucks setting up their guitars before they ship them.

And that "55 point inspection"? Here's the list. 50 of them aren't much more than check it over and plug it in..

Handling
      • 24-hour climate acclimation & professional handling
      • Inspect case/gig bag interior & exterior
      • Verify contents & accessories
      Cosmetic and Construction Inspection
      • Inspect & polish body
      • Fingerboard surface
      • Neck & neck joint
      • Strings
      • Plastic parts
      • Hardware
      • Inlays
      • Binding
      • Nut
      • Headstock
      Hardware Check
      • Motion/vibration test
      • Bridge
      • Tuning machines
      • Strap buttons
      • Truss rod cover
      • Pickguard
      • Output jack
      • Switches
      • Potentiometers
      • Pickup screws & rings
      • Neck joint screws/bolts
      • String trees
      • Battery compartment
      • Locking nut
      Electronics Testing
      • Output jack & plug fit
      • Pickup switching
      • Potentiometers
      • Pickup splitting/tapping
      • Onboard tuner & battery
      • Electric pickups
      • Acoustic pickups
      • Onboard preamp
      • Onboard effects
      • 13-pin pickup
      Playability Check
      • Check tuning machines & tune to pitch
      • Stretch strings & tune to pitch
      • String & saddle position
      • Neck relief
      • Frets
      • Action height
      • Intonation
      • Pickup height
      • Tremolo system
      • Play test all notes on the fretboard
      • Play test a variety of half- & whole-step bends
      • Play test a variety of chords & styles
      Tune and Polish
      • Tune to pitch
      • Polish instrument
      Packing
      • Inspect/refresh packing material, as needed
      • Professional repack
      • Store in climate-controlled warehouse
      • Double-box for shipping

* Applies to guitars valued $299 and above only.

Comment

The Playability Check alone covers the setup. But if an instrument does not pass any of the 55, it will either get adjusted, warranty service, or well advertised discounted pricing.

True, all of my purchases were above $299. I also will not haggle for a deal on a new product any store is selling at minimum advertised price. Everyone needs to earn a living.

I am not against GC. I am asserting the OP's GC should be able to set their bar higher.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post

The sales guys and gals by and large don't do setups. Their job is to move merchandise out the front door and to fill up the cash registers in the process.

Anyway.

90% plus of their sales are probably to people (kids and newbies) who don't know any better.better next 19% probably don't even trust the GC techs to begin with and / or prefer doing their own setup anyway, leaving the 1% who expect discount store pricing and boutique service.
          Given this, they could have them poorly setup in a way they can easily correct but then charge an upcharge for setup.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Given this, they could have them poorly setup in a way they can easily correct but then charge an upcharge for setup.
            They do, I believe. its called taking them out of the box with the action already set high to mask any truss rod or fret issues, roughly tune them and hang them on the wall.

If you want a proper setup you can ask for a free setup and wait a day or two for your guitar to be ready (don't expect to jump the line). Instead you can haggle for a discount or a freebie instead, or just walk out the door with your new guitar and head for home to set it up yourself (or not) and enjoy it.
            Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 04-23-2022, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Okay - here is the THREAD ENDER!

The setups are all super high at GC because the staff are all SUPER HIGH! Wakka wakka wakka!!!!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I always parked my car behind my local shop so the ex would not see the car there while she was out shopping. I would always catch the guys smoking behind the store.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  Okay - here is the THREAD ENDER!

The setups are all super high at GC because the staff are all SUPER HIGH! Wakka wakka wakka!!!!
                  Yep! I always got Mike's employee discount so long as I slipped him a nug.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

I’m kidding. I like hearing it if they are playing the songs well.
                    Hardly ever the case though when I'd rarely go to GC. It would usually be more like a very rookie botched and off-time No More Mr Nice Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I think the experience can also vary by location. GC forced out our local chain Daddy's Junky Music. A lot of the Daddy's people went to work for GC. The GC across from Berklee feels like Daddy's with a different sign outside. The GC in Nashua also had a bunch of Daddy's people and still has that local feel.
                      i worked at and opened the gc in albany damn near 20 years ago, craig peterson was the first gm. i think he either came from, or went to nashua after albany. he was a really good guy

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post

They do, I believe. its called taking them out of the box with the action already set high to mask any truss rod or fret issues, roughly tune them and hang them on the wall.

If you want a proper setup you can ask for a free setup and wait a day or two for your guitar to be ready (don't expect to jump the line). Instead you can haggle for a discount or a freebie instead, or just walk out the door with your new guitar and head for home to set it up yourself (or not) and enjoy it.
                        If they make you wait a day, be sure to check the serial number of the guitar you get back.

Comment

Hersch from Daddy's JM sold me this red 1986 Charvel model 2 late 90's.
                          They had a ton of stuff. Sad to see them go.

Comment

Working...
                          X