No announcement yet.

And another thing... hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you near a computer monitor to two? Those definitely will contribute. Turn it/them off and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
      After changing the pickups on my new Epi Les Paul Standard to SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers, I'm getting a low hum. Not deafening by any means, but annoying none the less. Touch the strings and it goes away. I haven't tried the amp sans pedal board, which is an idea, and the amp is an Origin50, so it's a bit noisy anyway ("that's called "character", sir" being my explanation - it's been like that from new and I just take it to be what tube amps do).

I've put a multimeter across from the back of a pot to the bridge, and I've got a circuit there, so the bridge is grounded for sure. I've also nuked the ground soldering to the pots with my Weller "ray gun" soldering iron, so they're good.

I noticed there are two "mystery" wires left buried inside the Epi somewhere, one red, one green, and I don't know what they're for. I suppose I could go ahead and ground those, but any other ideas?
      If touching the strings or bridge changes it, it's definitely a ground issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
        It's the amp :-(

Or bad positioning.
        That just means that the problem is still there to some degree.

Comment

It's wierd.

With nothing at all plugged into the amp, the amp is silent.

I'm homing in on a bad cable or something.

Comment

Turned out to be the distortion and blues driver pedals combined with overly long cords between the pedal board and the amp picking up hum from somewhere.

Comment

Working...
            X