No announcement yet.

Mid-tier HSS Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look for a used Fender Player Series Strat. Great value and right in the range you're looking at.
    Or even a G&L Tribute Series.

Comment

Yes, the Pacificas always get great reviews. The ones I played were better than most Fenders costing hundreds more.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Frater106 View Post

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...nslucent-black

Now, this is more like it! Flat board radius, alder/maple body, rosewood fretboard, Seymour Duncan Custom V bridge, Vintage Staggered Strat middle, and neck P-90? I’m feeling it!
        That looks like a great time!
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

That looks like a great time!
          Does the middle pickup look like it has been raised up a little bit? Look weird.
          "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

The 80's MIJ Ibanez Roadstar IIs are still reachable in price. They are great guitars out of the box and awesome modding platforms. You have to do some hunting but there are some great deals out there.

Comment

^^ Yes, though the proprietary trems can be hard to find parts for and cannot be replaced easily; and if you don't mind basswood for everything. I say this as a RS owner .

They are sweet players though (great necks), and well seasoned now by time. Based on the op, my money would be on an '85-'86 RS/RG140 - HSS, non-locking whammy. If you want the same kinda thing but with a Floyd Rose, '86 RG440. I'd look in local classifieds - stuff Treeverb and Squeebay can be overpriced. Average price is around $500 these days, give or take who's selling and where.

Personally, my money would still be on one of those Pacificas if I wanted everything set out of the gate. If I wanted to diy a bit – older guitar.
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Thinking about it, another option might be Fernandes. They've made lots of Stratty guitars over the decades, from vintage style to more souped up, and can be a bit more wallet friendly among older Japanese guitars, compared to Ibanez, Greco and so on.
                Originally posted by dominus
                Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I´d also look out for a Sterling HSS guitar - Music Man´s export version - either new or second-hand, potentially replacing the pickups if you don´t like the stock ones.
                  As mentioned by Obsessive Compulsive, Tokai also make very decent strat style guitars in that price range.

You could also pick up a second-hand Japanese Fender for that price, maybe a US - at least in Europe anyway, no idea of prices elsewhere. You may find better value from other manufacturers going second-hand though.

...and if you´re in Asia I´m sure there is any number of great possibilities in that range.

Comment

Throwing in another vote for Sterling by Music Man HSS Cutlass. Retails for about $500 and IMO great value for the money (roasted maple neck, locking tuners). The pickups are not spectacular but you can replace them (as I did) with whatever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Frater106 View Post
                      The Fender Player Strat HSS Floyd Rose and Fender Deluxe Strat HSS both come with 12” radius. They made an American Special Mahogany from the mid-2000s for a few years, but I didn’t snatch one. I found one used for $900, but that’s maybe $200-$300 over my budget and I’m not sure of the fret radius. Was hoping people might have some suggestions from other makers. I’ve already got the Classic Vibe. We’ll see how it plays after the setup. I’ll know more then.
                      Going the Gibson route. Get'em while you can!
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                      X