No announcement yet.

Which guitars have stood up best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a rotating inventory of instruments since 1977, so I can't comment on long time ownership. However, I can say that I have clients whose guitars I have serviced since that time. Forty plus years with an instrument has to be a cool story.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Pic of said goth Explorer...along with it's newer, younger stunt double.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201124_212423450~2_compress94_102035.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	6177006
      https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post

Do tell...what guitars do you play that have held up well?
        PRS, Knaggs, Nik Huber, Grosh, Suhr, Anderson, Kauer, ESP, Charvel, Jackson, Fender, GMP, Lee Garver, Baker, Ernie Ball, Collings, Springer, Seth Bacchus, etc.

I have a few PRS Private Stock guitars that have yet to need a tweak of any kind. They were absolutely perfect for me out of the box. 98% of my guitars were playable out of the box or when I received them (used). I most likely did some simple changes for action, etc. The only guitars that were never right out of the box and needed the most work were my Gibsons. I have had to make the most neck adjustments and set up work on them. Once they settled in and were right they have been fine for the most part. They are still the most temperamental of the guitars I own. I am incredibly meticulous and like my stuff done right and dialed in. The most consistent guitars out of the box and needing the least upkeep once dialed in have been the Suhr, Anderson, PRS, Nik Huber's. I personally attribute a lot of the to head stock angle and straight string pull.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

PRS, Knaggs, Nik Huber, Grosh, Suhr, Anderson, Kauer, ESP, Charvel, Jackson, Fender, GMP, Lee Garver, Baker, Ernie Ball, Collings, Springer, Seth Bacchus, etc.

I have a few PRS Private Stock guitars that have yet to need a tweak of any kind. They were absolutely perfect for me out of the box. 98% of my guitars were playable out of the box or when I received them (used). I most likely did some simple changes for action, etc. The only guitars that were never right out of the box and needed the most work were my Gibsons. I have had to make the most neck adjustments and set up work on them. Once they settled in and were right they have been fine for the most part. They are still the most temperamental of the guitars I own. I am incredibly meticulous and like my stuff done right and dialed in. The most consistent guitars out of the box and needing the least upkeep once dialed in have been the Suhr, Anderson, PRS, Nik Huber's. I personally attribute a lot of the to head stock angle and straight string pull.
          Wow, thatīs an impressive list.

Comment

For one, my 1994 Gibson Les Paul Standard is bone stock. Over the years I've moved the pickups up and down for different styles of music, and just adjusted the truss and saddles for different string weights. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Etc.??! We have a new category - Metal Lawyer!!

Comment

I would love to play around with a few Suhr's

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Etc.??! We have a new category - Metal Lawyer!!
                  I have no Idea What Bogner does for a living but that is hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

I would love to play around with a few Suhr's
                    Me too. I haven't yet had the opportunity.

Comment

Thanks. I delivered a lot of newspapers and mowed a lot of lawns to acquire the funds for all this madness.
                      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Who knew that paperboy and cutting grass could be so profitable?

Seems like PRS and Hamer are the stand-outs.

I actually thought Suhr and Music Man would figure more.

Comment

All of them, except my very first guitar that was some of the cheapest ever. But it was ok for learning the basics. It also depends on how you play. For example I only play at home, but someone who plays live and travels to different countries may have a different opinion. Plus sometimes I will not even touch my guitars for weeks (due to work or whatever).

Comment

Working...
                          X