banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squier Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster vs Contemporary Telecaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squier Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster vs Contemporary Telecaster?

Hey! So I want to get a cheap Tele to add to my arsenal. I'm looking at these two models. Wonder if they're made in the same factor and/or if there's a difference in quality between either?

I'm also undecided about which I should get. I want to mod it, but I also don't want to spend A LOT modding it. I'm pretty sure I want a metal pickup for the bridge position, and don't care about what neck pickup it comes with. I really like the looks of the Classic Vibe for that classic vintage Tele look, but I think I'd like the feel of the 12" radius and the fact that it already comes with a rails bridge pickup, but I'm not sure how I feel about the look of the Contemporary.

Which one do you think I should get and why?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-30-2022, 03:22 PM.

I will only comment on the neck radius.

My '82 Bullet S-3 has a 7.25" radius Telecaster neck. They were leftovers and Fender just slapped Bullet decals on them.

When the neck on my mutt Lead II went out, I replaced it with the 12" radius Telecaster Deluxe neck.

The 12" radius TD neck feels better, plays smoother, and makes my Lead II fun to play. I have more hours on that Lead II since the neck was replaced, than any of my other Fenders (Bullet, Stratocasters, RI Lead III, LE HM Strat & Telecaster).
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Yeah, that's what makes me dubious of the CV's. I can tolerate the PRS 10" radius (sorta), but it definitely wouldn't be my first choice. I'm not sure how I'd feel about the CV's 9.5".

Comment

I was thinking the CV would have a 7.25", should have checked the specs first.

My Lead III and Telecaster have 9.5". I like them, but the 12" TD neck still has a better feel to me. Interestingly enough, my HM Strat has a 17" radius. That is almost too flat for me. So I may be biased towards 12", but it just seems to have some combination of qualities that none of the others do.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I have NO IDEA what a righteous Fender Tele is.
          And I get your desire for a smoking' rails pickup.

That said, I have been slumming the Tele's a lot lately. Like, Harley Benton level cheap.

Honestly, the classic vibes are great guitars in every way, and I have played a few. If I were not cheap (or could have found a good used one cheap), I'd have got one.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

So I ended up getting neither, LOL.

I found a Squier CV 50's Esquire which is what I really wanted.

I tried it out at the store and the 9.5" radius wasn't so bad. Then again, these cheap guitars' setups are horrible. I left it in for a setup and fret job.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              So I ended up getting neither, LOL.

I found a Squier CV 50's Esquire which is what I really wanted.

I tried it out at the store and the 9.5" radius wasn't so bad. Then again, these cheap guitars' setups are horrible. I left it in for a setup and fret job.
              The 9.5" on my Lead III is the Modern C, which is asymmetric. Nothing wrong with it, but if you move from a standard C shape, you can tell something is different. My Player Plus Tele with the 9.5" has a standard C shape. All good. I'm glad you found one that you are happy with. Like my Lead II with the replacement TD, if you enjoy playing it, you will rack up some hours and it is all good.

Comment

Playing smaller radii is difficult for me, even with my smaller hands. I need at least 10, ideally something compound.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I still enjoy my 7.25" on my Bullet S-3, but that was my first real electric guitar. The Tele Deluxe replacement neck on my Lead II is by far my favorite - 12" radius.

It's all good. If you enjoy playing it, it is worth keeping.

I am now turning to the pickup situation. Personally, I had a Vintage Stack Tele in the neck of my Bullet for 10(?) years before I bought my Telecaster. It was just one of those tones I never needed live. But I keep it in my pocket.

Eventually..........I wanted that Tele tone all around, so I bought a Telecaster. It gives me those Tele tones. I was good with that.

Then again, John 5 gets some Tele tones that rival my Distortion or Custom tones. I will never judge. It is just what you want.

Comment

Working...
                  X