Tinkerer or Set It and Forget It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinkerer or Set It and Forget It?

I am almost always messing with something. I am not generally obsessive but when it comes to guitars well....lol

It's generally till I get them exactly how I want them then I can let it be, it's just getting to that exactly point that seems to be the issue, and since I go thru guitars like water

Where do you sit in the food chain?
    Tinkerer, Modder
    94.12%
    I Like Messing Around
    5.88%
    I'd rather not
    0%
    Don't Even....
    0%
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

I am always looking for a new tone and I like to tinker.

But, once I have a guitar sounding just right, I won't change it.

Amps and pedals are always getting messed with.
    Last edited by 80's_Thrash_Metal; 07-10-2022, 09:29 PM.
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Fifteen years ago, the friends that I jam with gave me five minutes to mess with the sound before we played. After 5 minutes, whatever it sounded like, that's what we'd use.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not sure I get the difference between
        • Tinkerer, Modder
        • I Like Messing Around
        But I will work on the setup until I'm satisfied. If I'm satisfied as soon as I play it, then I just keep playing.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          I'm not sure I get the difference between
          • Tinkerer, Modder
          • I Like Messing Around
          But I will work on the setup until I'm satisfied. If I'm satisfied as soon as I play it, then I just keep playing.
          I like messing around would be a lesser version, less compulsion
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I mod some of my guitars so I don't need to redial my amp for various different ones.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post

I like messing around would be a lesser version, less compulsion
              That is definitely the camp I reside in.

Comment

I occasionally play between tinkering / modding. If I have the time.

Comment

I don't think I own a single guitar or amp that hasn't been modded.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have to catch myself for sure because modding is way fun but it does take attention away from actually making music or practicing. So I try to make my goal be to get an instrument where I want it tone-wise and then maintain the setup as needed. But then I'll also get in a modding kick and go mess with pickups a few times a year. If I'm lucky I can convince myself just to try some different strings or a different tuning instead of getting out the soldering gun. I have 3 basses, 2 acoustics, and 6 electrics... I've modded them all in some way.
                    Last edited by alex1fly; 07-11-2022, 12:20 PM.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I run a range. Some things I set & forget - some things I tinker mod. Just depends.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I think about mods all the time. Never actually get around to doing them...
                        "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Amps, effects, guitars, they're all subject to modification(s).

Comment

I go through phases. Right now my tinkering is more maintenance mode with them.

Comment

I used to tinker an awful lot, but lately not so much anymore. I’ve got four electrics, and only one has non-Standard pickups (EJ Strat provided with CS Fat 60s). Amp wise I do change a speaker and a tube now and then, but once I’m happy with the sound, I leave it as it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X