String brands you don't jive with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    For acoustic, my preference is for the warmer, fuller tone of phosphor bronze
    That's what I use on all my acoustics, too. They tend to get the best sound through a PA or acoustic amp, which is how the audience hears the guitar.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

80/20 has a zingy sound when they're brand new that I find unpleasant on any of the acoustic guitars I've ever owned. Once they start to sound OK, they're pretty much dead.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

DR coated/coloured. “Doesn’t deaden the tone” they said. They lied.

and D’Addarios don’t last long enough for my liking and some of their gauge choices in the packs are weird.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
          DR coated/coloured. “Doesn’t deaden the tone” they said. They lied.

and D’Addarios don’t last long enough for my liking and some of their gauge choices in the packs are weird.
          Can you also list which strings that you prefer and feel last longer?
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Can you also list which strings that you prefer and feel last longer?
            Sure. Ernie Ball super slinky never fails, lasts, especially with some WD-40 after each play. I’ll splurge on some Elixir polywebs sometimes, especially if they’re NOS. There’s this hilarious conspiracy that they changed the process because they’d lose money on the original polywebs lasting “too long.” I’m not sure I believe that though. Elixir’s sound gorgeous though. Especially on acoustic.

If I’m in E, I haven’t found any good reason to go above 9-48 and I’ll go up one per step down tuning wise.

The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post

Sure. Ernie Ball never fails. I’ll splurge on some Elixir polywebs, especially if they’re NOS. There’s this hilarious conspiracy that they changed the process because they’d lose money on the original polywebs lasting “too long.” I’m not sure I believe that though. Elixir’s sound gorgeous.

If I’m in E, I haven’t found any good reason to go above 9-48 and I’ll go up one per step down tuning wise.

Yeah, I like Elixirs and Diaddario coated ones for acoustics -I really dont like the Ernie Ball Coated "Everlasts" for acoustics.

DRs have always been meh for me.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Yeah, I like Elixirs and Diaddario coated ones for acoustics -I really dont like the Ernie Ball Coated "Everlasts" for acoustics.

DRs have always been meh for me.
                Never tried Ernie coated and I’m not about to start. DR make some good bass strings but there’s plenty of choice out there for that super bright, piano wire bass tone. Rotosounds are one of my favourites.

One album, the bassist used brand new D’Addarios and they dulled one song in.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  I've had poor experience with Elixers (or any coated strings). They feel slippery at first and I do lots of bending, so I just don't jive with them. Also they sound a bit "dead"/lifeless to me.

I liked the bright tone of Boomers, but they just kept breaking, esp at the wind around the ball end.

I like the tone of Gibson Les Paul strings but they are just too pricey, as are many good quality strings.

I find great uniformity, quality, strength, and tone from Dunlops. Been using them for at least a decade or two.
                  I agree on the Gibson branded strings. I love them tone-wise but Not that cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does Gibson have a string factory, or does another company make them OEM?
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Does Gibson have a string factory, or does another company make them OEM?
                      Good question! I never thought about it.
                      If I had to guess I’d say they are just rebranded but I really don’t know.

Comment

Never really liked Fender strings. The high strings just seemed to break to easily. And they seemed to corrode more quickly than other brands.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X