banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best locking tuners to install on a Les Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best locking tuners to install on a Les Paul?

Pretty self-explanatory. I want to put locking tuners on my Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro. Which aftermarket brand would you recommend, and why?

I like the Grovers, myself. Hipshots are terrific, too. Sperzels work, but the knobs hurt my fingers.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      I like the Grovers, myself. Hipshots are terrific, too. Sperzels work, but the knobs hurt my fingers.
      That's interesting. I was thinking of Hipshots, though they seem to polarize guitarists, from what I've read. Love or hate thing.

Comment

I'm not crazy about their tuning knobs, but I think that can be changed.

Comment

Grover Rotomatic 18:1 Locking Tuners and it's not close for me.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have been looking at the Klusons for my LP. I like that they are a reversible mod.

I am also happy to hear any feedback or suggestions anyone has. The tuning is not an issue on any of my LPs, but if I can improve anything, I am always open to making a change.

Comment

I am a Hipshot fan, and I love the mounting plates that come with their tuners. I do like the knobs better than the stock plastic vintage ones.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I thought the mounting plates were some kind of gimmick, but the first time I installed a set of them - I immediately saw the genius of them.

Comment

I think Hipshot tuners are fantastic, but the mounting plates are such an eyesore, LOL. Overally, I don't like their looks, TBH.

I think these days, nothing is a good as Gotoh 510's. They've got a really high 21:1 ratio, and the quality is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    Grover Rotomatic 18:1 Locking Tuners and it's not close for me.
                    +1
                    I haven't tried all the options available to reasonably say which ones are best, but I have these Grovers on my LP and no complaints for the last 10 years.
                    The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

I don't want to spend a ton on tuners, so Hipshot may be the way to go. I've had a Hipshot set on my amazon wish list forever, lol. I will seriously consider Grover and Gotoh, though.

Comment

I don't know what is the best, I just replaced the Gotoh SG301 Grover style tuners on my Ibanez LP with Gotoh SG301 MGT locking, but since my guitar is currently at a store getting other things done to it, I haven't had a chance to play with them. I suspect they're okay, the original ones were and the only difference is they're locking now. I look forward to many a string change, while hating it at the same time, as is the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
                          I don't know what is the best, I just replaced the Gotoh SG301 Grover style tuners on my Ibanez LP with Gotoh SG301 MGT locking, but since my guitar is currently at a store getting other things done to it, I haven't had a chance to play with them. I suspect they're okay, the original ones were and the only difference is they're locking now. I look forward to many a string change, while hating it at the same time, as is the way.
                          Hating changing strings with locking tuners? Man, I love string replacements with locking keys. Totally a breeze, unless you have a Floyd Rose or similar trem setup.

Comment

Originally posted by DCikes88 View Post

+1
                            I haven't tried all the options available to reasonably say which ones are best, but I have these Grovers on my LP and no complaints for the last 10 years.
                            Same here. Great tuners.

Comment

Went with the Hipshots after much internal debate. They should arrive next week. Looking forward to the upgrade!

Comment

Working...
                              X