If you block a Strat tremolo . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you block a Strat tremolo . . . .

. . . does the mass / quality of the trem block matter?

I might upgrade my Strat Classic Vibe trem. The saddles are terrible, but I have one of these in stock:

So I might replace the whole thing. I don't mind putting a few bucks into this axe. Would a better trem block be worthwhile? I always block my trems.

Thanks.
    Artie

I don't think it matters any less than in a floating trem.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
      I don't think it matters any less than in a floating trem.
      Cool. Thanks.

Comment

i block or deck all my trems and still prefer a big block

Comment

I replaced mine with a Fender Standard Strat bridge. Drop-in replacement. To me, it made it difference. The guitar is more resonant and the notes have a fuller sound. I did some other work as well but the bridge was done before all that.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
              I replaced mine with a Fender Standard Strat bridge. Drop-in replacement. To me, it made it difference.
              Just did the same. I'll post pics shortly.

Comment

I wouldn't expect much sound difference swapping trem block in a bridge that's decked onto the body of the guitar (maybe would make a little more difference if you're using some wood or something jammed against the block itself to block the trem). . . but swapping the whole bridge (and/or saddle material) is another matter.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

This block looks like Zinc or potmetal to me.
                  Id go for brass.
                  Some of it is going to depend if the block is flush with the body or floating, the size of the block ect but with your guitar i doubt any of that is going to make a huge noticeable impact.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tandard-series

This block looks like Zinc or potmetal to me.
                    Id go for brass.
                    Some of it is going to depend if the block is flush with the body or floating, the size of the block ect but with your guitar i doubt any of that is going to make a huge noticeable impact.
                    Yup. I agree. I went ahead and put in the Fender unit because I had it in stock. The block has more mass, even though it probably is cheap-ish still. Everything else is better though, including the much heavier mounting screws. I added a 4th spring, and tightened down the screws. It doesn't need any extra blocking. This isn't going anywhere.

I might add brass in the future.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tremolo-01-sm.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	6189748 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tremolo-02-sm.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	6189749

Comment

Ugh, those thin blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                        Ugh, those thin blocks.
                        Yeah, I think one good dive would have snapped through that arm support.

Comment

Those Fender Standard bridges have a steel block. Other than the bridge swap on mine, I got some shorter saddle screws so they don't stick out so much. Even when I got the action where I wanted it with a full setup, they were still a bit pokey.

Comment

You can quickly test whether it is a steel block with a magnet.

Comment

Not magnetic but it looks like it would be steel. Not polished up but has the look. The Sweetwater page says die-cast. I thought it was steel. Could be zinc. My Gotoh's are zinc. I love them.
                              Last edited by ErikH; 08-10-2022, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X