NGD: “Super Real” LPC Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: “Super Real” LPC Content

NGD! 1981 Greco Super Sound Custom (“Super Real” series).

After years of looking/drooling, I finally scored my holy grail, a cherry-burst Les Paul Custom — from Japan’s famous FujiGen factory in March 1981.

Last pics are with its “Mint Collection” series Black Beauty sibling from September 1984 (9lbs).

Heavier than sin @ 10.8lbs.

Baseball bat necks the both of ‘em.

Can’t believe how hot the pickups sound and feel considering they are Maxon PAF’s. Haven’t measured but I think they’re typically only 8-9k.

Wow, that is indeed heavy! But about the same as a Norlin-era LPC of the same year.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Love the sunburst neck

Comment

SWEET rides!!!!

Swap the tone volume knobs. Gold to Black, Black to Gold.

My Norlin's neck was like that - when it had finish on it.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Nice! Waffleback tuners, too.
          Surprised they duplicated the Gibson finish & circa-1980 volute but didn't copy the thinner Gibson neck profile.
          That makes it a true gem in my book.

In the early 80s Maxon was still making pickups for Ibanez and they might've used the Super 70 formula on their own models.
          Fairly light 7.75K wind, but with A8 or ceramic magnet. They were louder than their DCRs would suggest.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Lovely guitar(s). Congratulations

Comment

Love my 78 Frampton Greco, 10.3 lbs. I find the heft not a problem.
              Last edited by JMP/HBE; 08-22-2022, 04:28 AM.

Comment

The Zappa vibes are strong, and super real (beats authentic?) is where it's at . Also, plain top ftw.

Pups date to March 1981, same as the guitar's serial. As mentioned, their heat might be due to the fact that the spec was changed to ceramic in the previous year.

Certainly in all of Ibanez's offerings 1980-1988, the Super 70s were ceramic. Only the 70s versions are A8.
                Originally posted by dominus
                Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

My '77 Greco. Not very heavy at 8.75lbs but with the Distortion set the thing's a raging behemoth.
                  Named it Camazotz, after the Mayan deathbat god. Unfortunately the stock pickups are long gone. (And no wafflebacks, either. )

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                    My '77 Greco.
                    Sometimes you can actually hear a picture. When I look at that guitar I hear 70s/80s sleaze rock in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      My Norlin's neck was like that - when it had finish on it.
                      I typically remove finishes completely or at least really dull the finish as to make it not stick.

However, since this one's neck also has a cool sunburst finish, I would like to preserve it.

I'm wondering if there's a procedure whereby I can make it slicker without hacking it up.

Perhaps some 1200-1500 grit wet/dry with a splash of mineral spirits?

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post

I'm wondering if there's a procedure whereby I can make it slicker without hacking it up.
                        I put a light dusting of baby powder on my left hand.

Comment

I typically remove finishes completely or at least really dull the finish as to make it not stick.

However, since this one's neck also has a cool sunburst finish, I would like to preserve it.

I played it until the finish was gone.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Very fine 3M pads - the white ones - can reduce friction without removing much actual finish.
                            Gives a matte surface superficial enough that it can be polished back to gloss if you want.
                            In fact, playing itself might bring back a little gloss, but of course you can scuff again.

According to 3M, the white scotchbrite is approximately equivalent to 0000 steel wool.

Many do the back of their necks using the regular green kitchen pads but those are much more aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Very fine 3M pads - the white ones - can reduce friction without removing much actual finish.
                              Gives a matte surface superficial enough that it can be polished back to gloss if you want.
                              In fact, playing itself might bring back a little gloss, but of course you can scuff again.

According to 3M, the white scotchbrite is approximately equivalent to 0000 steel wool.

Many do the back of their necks using the regular green kitchen pads but those are much more aggressive.
                              Thanks, I had no idea there were white ones!
                              Any reason to not use 0000 SW if they're considered the same/similar grit/aggressiveness?

Pretty sure I used steel wool on the '84 black beauty but that was 10 years ago now (woh time flies). Still nice and smooth years later.

Come to think of it, the light color of the sunburst finish might help camouflage a matte finish treatment.

Comment

Working...
                              X