banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pieces of gear are you "not supposed" to like, that you've been successful with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pieces of gear are you "not supposed" to like, that you've been successful with?

I've recently been having great success making good sounds playing in a small venue with nothing more than a pair of JBs in a Les Paul into a DS-1 into an amp sim into a soundboard. On paper this sounds like an awful combo, but it's really been working out for me.

Yall have any gear that conventional forum wisdom says is bad, but actually works rather well for you?

Amp modeling devices.

Comment

I play mainly hard rock and metal. My main amp is a solid-state Roland JC-120. I have a Marshall and other tube amps but the JC-120 has always delivered the best metal tone for me. I have been playing them since the 90's.

Comment

What gear are we supposed to dislike?
        "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Zoom MS-50G

Comment

People often hate on Fender HRDs -but Ive used them for backline with no problem
            Last edited by NegativeEase; 09-03-2022, 10:36 PM.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The midrange knob.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I get a ton of mileage out of the stock pickups that a lot of guys will just through out because they're stock. That's a dirty word for a lot of people around here, as if companies specifically design guitars around not being able to sound good with the factory electronics.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Metalzone. Duh.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Mexican Fenders, partscasters and DIYs

Comment

For a nominally creative, experimental, inventive type pursuit (music) I'm amazed how many rules that guitar players try and invent for themselves.
                      I guess thats where the delineation between 'musician' and guitar player lies.

Comment

90s Randall/Washburn PG100H. Rare, punchier and gainier than a stock RG. It’s my secret weapon, it’s got a truly killer heavy tone. Don’t know anyone else with one orsee it talked about.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

The closest would probably be a Rockman. Honestly speaking I rarely care to go for unproved solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                            I get a ton of mileage out of the stock pickups that a lot of guys will just through out because they're stock. That's a dirty word for a lot of people around here, as if companies specifically design guitars around not being able to sound good with the factory electronics.
                            The cringiness of people on FB saying that they have just bought a new guitar and asking what pickups they should put in it is matched only by people wondering which overdrive they should put in front of their new three-channel amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post

The cringiness of people on FB saying that they have just bought a new guitar and asking what pickups they should put in it is matched only by people wondering which overdrive they should put in front of their new three-channel amp.
                              I always felt the same way until I bought my B.C. Rich. The price on the guitar was too good to pass up, it was around 50% off the list price due to a Musician's Friend pricing mistake. However, it came with active pickups, which I generally do not like. I bought it knowing I would have to change the pickups. I did try to gel with the guitar and original pickups, and it didn't happen. Lindy Fralin built a prototype set of Super High Output pickups for the guitar I could not rip the old pickups out of the guitar fast enough.

There are a lot of inexpensive guitars that are great modding platforms. I think some people buy them knowing there is work to be done to dial the guitar to their liking vs. dropping a lot of money on a guitar that checks all of their boxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X