banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tele bridge - string through bridge or body - which and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele bridge - string through bridge or body - which and why?

Two Squier Tele's I had and a friends Fender were all string through bridge.
    I'm completely modding an Affinity body so it would be no problem to convert to string through body.

What are the benefits, differences in sound or feel, in you experience?
    I might not even notice the difference, but would love to hear your experiences.
    it will be mostly a metal axe, if it matters.

Oh, also it will definitely be a "classic" tele style plate bridge, but sized for a HB. No Schallers or any too fancy stuff.
    The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

i find the top loading usually has a bit less tension but thats purely anecdotal. i dont have a huge preference either way

Comment

String through body. Best sound, tone, sustain. Even with a heavy Bigsby strung on top, it's thinner and weaker in comparison.

Comment

^ This.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

No difference in sound/feel. I like the string through body but just because I think the ferrules are neat.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
            No difference in sound/feel. I like the string through body but just because I think the ferrules are neat.
            Well, disregarding all other opinions then, I also think the ferrules are neat. Therefore, a string through body it shall be.

Oh, and I've already ordered a bridge that has both options
            The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

I have convinced myself that I like string through body. There's very little difference between the two, it's maybe marginally more difficult to restring with string through.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I must be the odd man out here but to me (on the same Tele) strings through the bridge feel more like an Acoustic to me than when I string through the body...as in finger picking on the Tele feels better to me with through the bridge than through the body. I go through phases with it--currently all of my Teles are strung up through the body.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                  ^^^ What he said!

Comment

I don't know? Just having compared two very similar teles, one thru the bridge and one thru the body, I totally thought the thru bridge had a bit lighter string tension. Sonically I don't know that it makes much difference but who knows what one person hears over another?
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Seconding "string through the body is pretty neat"
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by DCikes88 View Post

Well, disregarding all other opinions then, I also think the ferrules are neat. Therefore, a string through body it shall be.

Cool. It's a classic choice. You might consider gluing the ferrules in - I've had a couple pop out during string changes. Not a big deal to pop them back in, just something to think about.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by DCikes88 View Post
                          i have a few tele bridges that offer both. i usually go through body but i have one tele that i keep breaking e strings at the saddle so ive been top loading just the high e and i seem to break less strings. less down pressure on the saddle i assume, but it doesnt really feel different while playing in a live environment

Comment

Easy way to tell: if you have a guitar that does both, record it both ways and listen to it back as a passive listener. Listen to how long open chords sustain for each, listen for tone changes in the top end, mids and bass. The other half is how the strings feel while playing. As mentioned, you might find top loading is looser and feels easier on the fingers while through the body can be stiffer when bending.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                              Easy way to tell: if you have a guitar that does both, record it both ways and listen to it back as a passive listener. Listen to how long open chords sustain for each, listen for tone changes in the top end, mids and bass. The other half is how the strings feel while playing. As mentioned, you might find top loading is looser and feels easier on the fingers while through the body can be stiffer when bending.
                              This seems like a great test, you should just have someone else play them back. Or maybe do a shuffle and listen for a while. Then when you have found the one you like best,check and see which it is.

Perhaps I am biased. My Bullet S-3 was (it is Kahler'd now) string through, my Lead II is string through, my Lead III is string through, and my Telecaster is string through.

I must admit, I think DCikes88 cannot go wrong a bridge which permits both.
                              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
                              X