3 way blade to 5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 way blade to 5.

My Jackson DXMG currently has a three way blade switch for the dual humbucker setup. What are my wiring options if I switch to a five position switch?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, that's just what I was thinking of. In particular the PRS 5 way patern.
      Anyone with any experience in any of these different configurations, feel free to chime in.

Comment

The Schaller Megaswitch has some very specific combinations for HH setups. They work well if you want one of those wiring schemes, although the switches aren't as durable as other switches. You have a lot more things you can do with a 5 way Super Switch. This is what I use (all positions hum-cancelling).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

+1 on the PRS style coil combinations. Position 4 is magic.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I really like the coil closest to the neck on it's own if the neck HB is higher output. Usually they do a pretty good strat impersonation, particularly if you wire the pots so that they're dropped down to 250k when you switch over. That and both inner coils of the HBs are really good lower gain options to have paired with the standard three humbucker selections.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I like Ibanez wiring here.

Neck series
              Neck parallel
              Both humbuckers
              Inside coils in parallel
              Bridge humbucker
              "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                5 way Super Switch. This is what I use (all positions hum-cancelling).
                I also use a Super Switch on my HH Strat, the one with the Fralins you played. My configuration is like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I also use a Super Switch on my HH Strat, the one with the Fralins you played. My configuration is like this.

Pretty sure that's the way the 5 way is wired in my Shecter. If I change the Jackson switch, I'd rather have positions 2&4 do outside coils series, inside coils parallel, just for something different.

Comment

Inspired by Mincer's efforts, I wired my HH Strat with a 5-way superswitch, two independent volumes and a single tone.

The superswitch gives:

P1 - bridge humbucker both coils
                    P2 - both humbuckers slug coils parallel
                    P3 - both humbuckers both coils in each
                    P4 - both humbuckers screw coils parallel
                    P5 - neck humbucker both coils

I can select an individual single coil in P2 or P4 by turning down the volume on the coil I dont want.

Mincer and I both went further and flipped the magnet and wiring connections in the neck pickup, making it RWRP relative to the bridge, so in P2 and P4 the coils are hum canceling.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                      Inspired by Mincer's efforts, I wired my HH Strat with a 5-way superswitch, two independent volumes and a single tone.

The superswitch gives:

P1 - bridge humbucker both coils
                      P2 - both humbuckers slug coils parallel
                      P3 - both humbuckers both coils in each
                      P4 - both humbuckers screw coils parallel
                      P5 - neck humbucker both coils

I can select an individual single coil in P2 or P4 by turning down the volume on the coil I dont want.

Mincer and I both went further and flipped the magnet and wiring connections in the neck pickup, making it RWRP relative to the bridge, so in P2 and P4 the coils are hum canceling.

Just a thought.
                      As someone who has tried many HH combinations with Megaswitches and Super Switches, this is still the best to me.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^ I wanted to add a phase flip for one pickup, irrespective of single or both coils, but I got a headache 5 minutes in and im not sure i would ever be able to keep up with all the options .

Comment

Working...
                        X