banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volume knob and pickup switch get in my way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume knob and pickup switch get in my way.

Hey guys curious if this is a problem for others and how to get around it. Lots of times when I'm playing on this guitar, I always end up hitting the volume knob and pickup switch with my pinky finger. Aside from moving them on the guitar is there any other tricks? I was thinking very short knobs maybe, and for the pickup switch just cutting the lever shorter and putting a shorter knob on it. Any suggestions?

Probably just don't look at the saddles. lol My ocd kicked in years ago before I knew better. I'm trying to learn about guitar setup and have since tried to fix the intonation. It still looks pretty straight though so I'm gonna try again next time I restring which will be fairly soon.

It might be a technique issue. You could also get rid of the tone knob and move the volume knob.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ya it's totally a technique issue but sometimes I just get right into it and I tend to really thrash with my pick hand. Usually it's not too much of an issue all depends what style I'm playing.

Comment

I was also thinking of moving the volume closer to the tone but the pu switch is still in the way and then I'd still have a hole in my pickguard which I don't want. Just looking at options without having to move anything for now. I'm all about modding so maybe one day a new pickguard to move the switches.

Comment

If you don't want to move anything and don't want to drill new holes why are you posting? The only solution otherwise would be to change your technique (which you already know).

So...buy a new pickguard and put the controls where you want them if changing your technique is out of the question.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Actually on another forum I actually got some good tips from others about some parts to try that will help. Knob and switch guards, lowering the pu switch and shortening the knob, lower profile volume/tone knobs, knob brakes. Lots of good stuff that is not "Hey just change how you play." I am all about modding guitar gear but if I move the switches and knobs I would need a new pickguard and there are none for this guitar that aren't already drilled stock and I don't want to make a brand new pickguard at this time.

Comment

Smaller knobs, or no knobs also works.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

You're not on a forklift, Jeff. . . Lighten up a little. You should actually be more than competent to do this. Just relax a bit
                Last edited by solspirit; 10-02-2022, 11:07 AM.

Comment

You can always get a new pick guard and put the controls wherever you want.

Comment

A new pick guard makes moving things really easy.

But, with a little effort/discipline you can learn to play it.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yah, smaller knobs would be worth trying.
                      Not sure you'll find a tip for the blade switch that's smaller than what you've got though.
                      You could take the tip off completely but if your hand flails around you'd cut yourself.
                      Almost suggested plasti-dip but it wouldn't have fit through the pickguard slot.
                      Maybe you could go tipless but wrap the blade with some gaffer's tape?
                      It removes more cleanly than duct tape.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

If you are having trouble with the switch tip I highly doubt that lower profile knobs will help you out at all. I think working on technique will be the best thing. Otherwise get a concentric pot for you can move the vol to the tone spot and have both the tone/vol there and get a plug for the empty vol hole.
                        Last edited by Mr. 80's; 10-02-2022, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForkliftJeff View Post
                          Actually on another forum I actually got some good tips from others about some parts to try that will help. Knob and switch guards, lowering the pu switch and shortening the knob, lower profile volume/tone knobs, knob brakes.

Sounds like you've gotten much better/useful suggestions here! Those other suggestions you received from "another forum" won't really help you with your problem. But, go ahead and spend the money and time to try them and when you come back here we'll help you find the real solution to your problem.

Originally posted by ForkliftJeff View Post
                          I am all about modding guitar gear but if I move the switches and knobs I would need a new pickguard and there are none for this guitar that aren't already drilled stock and I don't want to make a brand new pickguard at this time.
                          So in other words you are saying is..."I want you to listen to me whine and complain but I don't want to do anything about it"?

Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Fifty-two million people don't have this problem after the first few years of playing, it's nothing but a technique issue. You're not Jake E Lee. Raise the arch of your picking hand and get used to it.

Comment

Or, sharpen the switch tip into a point and attach a razor to the volume knob…your technique would change quickly!

Comment

Working...
                              X