No announcement yet.

I'd like your opinion on a guitar mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like your opinion on a guitar mod.

I've just about got all the parts together to bring my Vantage VP-795 back to life. The VP-795 was available in several different control configurations: 2, 3, or 4 knob, 2 or 3 switches, and output jack either on the side or lower bout LP style. I hate having the jack on the side. So, I have a few options:

1. Leave it alone and live with it.
    2. Add a knob or switch. (Doesn't need any more switches, so probably a knob.)
    3. Add a wooden insert "marquetry" style.
    4. Something I haven't thought of yet.

I'd love to have your thoughts. I'm leaning towards option #2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Montage.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	6200078

I would leave it alone and live with it. The other options look a bit awkward to my eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      I would leave it alone and live with it. The other options look a bit awkward to my eye.
      Yeah. Now that I made the montage, option #1 does seem to make the most sense. Most of my Peavey's have the jack in about that same position, and I manage to live with them just fine. A right-angle cord is my friend here.

Comment

I keep a right-angle adaptor in the gig bag just in case I do not have a right-angle cord. I had a straight cord in my Gibson Sonex at a gig in the 80's. I hit a power chord, broke the pickguard mid-gig, and sent the guitar on injured reserve for the night. You can pick up the adaptors on Sweetwater or Amazon for a few bucks. They are nice to have in the gig bag.

Comment

Not a prob for me. I have both straight end and angled end cables hanging on my rack. I always use the angled cords for my Peavey's. So, this isn't exactly a huge problem. Just an annoyance.

Comment

I would hate the jack there, too. Maybe a spin-a-split?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I would hate the jack there, too. Maybe a spin-a-split?
              That's a good idea except that I already have a set of Fluence Open Core Classics to go in there. (Partial trade from Frank Falbo for my Ibby RG.) Those switches cover all the Fluence tonal options.

Comment

A killswitch with like a small wooden type knob, say walnut?
                The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Shouldn't be any different than the plug on a 335, right? Just wrap your cable through your guitar strap and you should be fine.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by DCikes88 View Post
                    A killswitch with like a small wooden type knob, say walnut?
                    That did cross my mind, but I never ever use a killswitch. It's just not my style.

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    Shouldn't be any different than the plug on a 335, right? Just wrap your cable through your guitar strap and you should be fine.
                    And I realized, after reading my own post, that all my Peavey's are like that, and it hasn't been a problem. I'll probably leave it alone. Still thinking.

Comment

I wouldn't add any switches, knobs or move the jack. You could replace the 3-way switch with a Freeway switch or a rotary 5-way

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                        I wouldn't add any switches, knobs or move the jack.
                        Yup. You all have convinced me to leave it alone. I'm glad I asked.

The three mini-toggles will cover all the switching modes I need, so I'm good to go there.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                        X