Slipping Sperzel tuners, Amy remedy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slipping Sperzel tuners, Amy remedy?

I’ve got a guitar with Sperzel tuners that always is slipping flat. Far worse than my Schaller/Fender locking tuners and worse than vintage and modern style non-locking tuners.

1. Is there some process for Sperzels that is different than Schallers? I just pull the string through, tighten the lock and tune to pitch.

2. Is there any adjustment or change I can make to them to stop the slipping? High E at .010 is the worst, but they all tend to go a little flat, I wonder if it’s the post rotating against tension? Can they be tightened?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

never had that issue and i have sperzels on a half dozen guitars. obviously, new strings stretch but past that, i havent had any slippage. not sure if they can be tightened cause ive never had the issue. id have to open one up to see whats in there

Comment

I'm the opposite as jeremy. I've never thought Sperzels were all that great to begin with, personally

Comment

I would do the counterbend through the tuner hole like you might with normal tuners. That might help lock it in a little better.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
        Originally posted by Securb
        The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

It's not the tuners. It's something else. The intonation is off either because the action is too high at the nut, too high at the bridge, or the intonation hasn't been set. In 45 years at the bench it's been the tuners maybe 3 times.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            never had that issue and i have sperzels on a half dozen guitars. obviously, new strings stretch but past that, i havent had any slippage. not sure if they can be tightened cause ive never had the issue. id have to open one up to see whats in there
            Same here I have them on at least 4 or 5 guitars and have never had a problem. They are my go-to tuners. now.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              It's not the tuners. It's something else. The intonation is off either because the action is too high at the nut, too high at the bridge, or the intonation hasn't been set. In 45 years at the bench it's been the tuners maybe 3 times.
              Well, the guitar is in tune, it sits for a while and then the high E is flat. So it’s not the action or intonation. I doubt the nut is binding so badly that the length between the nut and tuner is below tension and finally releases it over the course of a few days.

These we’re not new to me, they came on a guitar I acquired second hand. What else can I do to isolate the tuner as ok or an issue?
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I assume you are tuning to standard? Brand of strings? Is it unwinding at the ball end? I still maintain the intonation is off somewhere.

Comment

I have some Schaller tuners that the B string always slips. I’ve swapped the retainer pin with the high E (staggered tuners, 3 different lengths), and it is the one that always seems to slip for me. The string will just slide out no matter how hard I twist the locking knob. So, I’ve taken to giving a bit of extra wrap on that string for keeping it secure, or running the string through the hole twice.

An intonation problem won’t suddenly crop up with the same strings. How I usually test if it’s the tuner slipping is just pulling pretty firmly once near pitch to see if it’s going to slip out.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                  Originally posted by Securb
                  The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I assume you are tuning to standard? Brand of strings? Is it unwinding at the ball end? I still maintain the intonation is off somewhere.
                    Yes standard tuning. I believe these were Elixir Nanoweb 10-46. How much would have to slip through the lock to drop by a quarter step?

I was thinking that maybe the ball end was pressing into the brass block but the ball ends released extremely easily. Also, I have no doubt that the intonation may be slightly off. But I mean a string losing it’s tuning over the course of a few days. I tune up and everything is fine, then three days later it has dropped in pitch. My guitars with other tuning machines don’t do this, they may slightly drift with weather but this is a a decent drop in pitch. I’ll add photos of the strings and block.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                        I have some Schaller tuners that the B string always slips. I’ve swapped the retainer pin with the high E (staggered tuners, 3 different lengths), and it is the one that always seems to slip for me. The string will just slide out no matter how hard I twist the locking knob. So, I’ve taken to giving a bit of extra wrap on that string for keeping it secure, or running the string through the hole twice.

An intonation problem won’t suddenly crop up with the same strings. How I usually test if it’s the tuner slipping is just pulling pretty firmly once near pitch to see if it’s going to slip out.
                        Yes, that’s how it seems. I haven’t don’t the “pull” test to see how far it drops. I’m restringing, cleaning and setting intonation now so we’ll see if a fresh set of strings is better. (I recall it happening with at least one other set of strings on this guitar in the past)
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

"Slaps forehead"...

It could be a tiny bit of string in the hole between the pin and the string. Have you taken it apart, or opened it enough to blow through?

Comment

"Slaps forehead"...

It could be a tiny bit of string in the hole between the pin and the string. Have you taken it apart, or opened it enough to blow through?
                            I’ll do that tonight. It’s getting a cleaning, restring and setup.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yeah, I never had a problem with mine, either. So, I don't think it is they way they make them- the process of stringing is the same as Schallers and Hipshots. Check the nut, too, as strings can bind there and release, adding to the tuning issues.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X