Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOGD - 70's MIJ SG Awesomeness

New Old Guitar Day

So there I was cruising the local CL Sunday and this just about jumped off the screen at me. If you grew up around a Sam Ash you're probably gonna laugh because it is an old Carlo Robelli SG Deluxe.

1974 Kasuga factory it appears, Maxon pickups (~8k), it is pretty clean and mostly original. The bridge was replaced with some funky old import tuna-matic that didin't fit the non-standard posts, so I put a Gotoh that I had here on til the same in gold shows up. I also changed the neck vol pot out because it just would not clean up, I had a similar era MIJ pot from an old Ibanez I dropped in, same awful taper lol. I took the pegs completely apart, cleaned and lubed them and they are functional but a little slippy til they get in the right spot. Neck pocket had some cracks that had been serviced before but I made them a little better. There's a screw that holds the tenon in place that I doubt was factory but it works well so I cleaned that up countersinking it slightly and using a new screw with that modern philips head tech. A little cleaning and a little setup work and it's just a total blast! Skinnier late 60's style neck but it really feels great in the hand.

Love the aged marshmallow color with the white guard and the chipboard case is to die for

A whole lotta fun, super cheap

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4590.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	6203601Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4598.jpg Views:	1 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	6203602
    Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.3 KB ID:	6203603Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_68831408507__5EE373A9-B4D8-4292-9869-3F5A5F249CDC.jpg Views:	1 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	6203604
    Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4599.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.6 KB ID:	6203605
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wattage; 10-26-2022, 07:20 PM.
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

So you bought a pair of Maxon pickups and got a free guitar-shaped holder for 'em? Rock and roll!

Comment

That is sweet, love the finish and the older Maxons are magic

Comment

So yeah the pickups are super funky and cool, better than some of the other older Maxons I have had for whatever reason. 34157 code on the back, maybe production line 3 was the magic one lol

They're kind of fuzzy but in a really good way, nice bite to them. There aren't the ones everyone really hunts down like the PAF copies but so far they work. I am going to drag it to practice tomorrow and see how it fairs. Kind of thinking I need to give it a light fret level, may have a loose fret too.

My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Now you have to post the headstock pic on social media and tag Gibson. See if they send a squad to repel off of the roof through your windows!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Sounds like a good deal. Probably beats the mess out of any 70s SG they were making over here in America back then.

Also loving how you can smuggle a single pencil or a really long cigarette under the pickguard.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Well I don't know that it is beating up anybody for their lunch money but it is a very cool guitar.

It is retired from smuggling and is looking to a career in Rock n Roll now
              My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Dude, that’s a sweet axe right there.

Comment

Working...
                X