Real world experience: Reverse headstock Stratocaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real world experience: Reverse headstock Stratocaster

I am planning buying a Player Series neck for my Standard Stratocaster 2008 MIM, I really want that 22nd fret and want to try a traditional maple fret board. I was thinking getting a reverse headstock (or a lefty neck). My question: Does it change the feel/elasticity of the strings? I don't care that much about string 6,5,4 but I really want to know about strings 1,2 and 3 which I bend a lot. Is it easier or harder or how would you describe it? And please just real world experience of people who have played typical vs reversed with strings of the same gauge. There are lots of confusing opinions out there of people who just seem to repeat what they read from some misleading post. I really appreciate your help.
    Who took my guitar?

A lot of people say no, but it sure feels and sounds like it to me

Comment

I’ve got three Strats here, a reverse and two standards. Let me check the gauges and trem status, then I’ll compare an let you know.

My thought before my comparison is that there’s a small slinkiness difference between high and low E. You have to bend the string sightly farther to hit the same pitch on the string that is longer behind the nut. My feeling also is that how you setup your tremolo (blocked, decked, decked that will lift, floating) makes a bigger difference and string gauge, even .5 makes a bigger difference.

I’ll check back in later tonight.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        I’ve got three Strats here, a reverse and two standards. Let me check the gauges and trem status, then I’ll compare an let you know.

My thought before my comparison is that there’s a small slinkiness difference between high and low E. You have to bend the string sightly farther to hit the same pitch on the string that is longer behind the nut. My feeling also is that how you setup your tremolo (blocked, decked, decked that will lift, floating) makes a bigger difference and string gauge, even .5 makes a bigger difference.

I’ll check back in later tonight.
        Good point, mine is a vintage 6 screws trem which I always block.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

I've had a ton of reverse headstock guitars and I'd say I definitely never noticed any difference in how they feel vs. non-reversed. It does make tuning and restrings an absolute pain in the ass though, and personally I'd recommend strongly against it for exactly this reason.

Comment

I don't really notice any change when bending the strings with a floyd nut unlocked vs locked . . . so figure the amount of string over the nut can't make much difference if any.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I don't feel any difference on my reverse headstock. If it's there, it's so minor that I compensated for it without realizing. Other factors like even a slight difference between guitars in fret height and action/neck relief can change the feel noticeably, so I wouldn't automatically attribute any perceived difference to the headstock.
              Take it to the limit
              Everybody to the limit
              Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I play a reverse headstock Strat I do not find anything noticeable enough in the feel of the guitar to report. I would say the tuning ergonomics are much better and it looks freaking cool

Comment

I have one without a locking nut and it doesn't stay in tune at all. Supposedly Hendrix used a calibrated set of strings so they all had similar tension to help tuning.

Comment

i have a few reverse headstock guitars and i dont really notice much difference in tension between them and my others. mine all stay in tune just fine and i use the same strings i use on everything else

Comment

Supposedly Hendrix used a calibrated set of strings so they all had similar tension to help tuning.
                      And who supposed that? Someone who never listened to his live stuff.

The cat was retuning ALL THE TIME. And there was no such thing as a calibrated set of strings in the 1960's.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

You cats are weird

The high E and B are easier to bend, the low E and A are more resonant. The real difference to me is the low E, I find they sound bigger and just feel more responsive when playing.

YMMV but I have switched several guitars around that all reacted that way.
                        Last edited by Wattage; 11-12-2022, 11:10 PM.
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I'm always surprised when someone tunes a low string to H.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                            ĦO_o
                            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              It's all the chemicals

You know when Bach did it it was all the rage now they just use boring ol' Bb
                              My Bands -
                              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                              X