Classic Stack in Strat HB route

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Stack in Strat HB route

I bought a Classic Stack loaded pick-guard for my Custom Shop HSS Strat. The single coil is not fitting in the HB route. Has anyone ever had this before? I’m wondering if I’m missing something or if I need to do some routing? My research prior led me to believe a Single Coil should drop right into a humbucker route.

ive never run into that issue before. is the bridge single coil reverse slant or anything like that? what part of the pup isnt fitting?

Comment

No nothing out of the ordinary. It seems to be getting stuck just a bit at the corner that flows into the control cavity. It’s just like a fraction of an inch that is getting stuck, but I was careful to make sure now wire was hanging anything up. I’ll try to snap some pictures quick and upload!

Comment

Interesting. I can't picture it, as I've never had that issue. Maybe a Custom Shop Strat has a different route? What didn't you like about the humbucker in the bridge? What humbucker was it?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I had to do some hand sanding but got it to fit! I just have always had a hum-bucker in the bridge and wanted to try a single coil, and since the loaded pickguard came all single I figured now would be a good time to try it! I like it. It’s not shrill at all as I remember a lot of Strat singles being. Maybe because the bridge in this set is wound hotter? These pickups replaced custom wound 64’ singles and an EVH Humbucker, and I’m very impressed. Was worried I’d regret the change, but the noise free is so lovely!

Comment

Yeah! The Classic Stack is my favorite Strat pickup ever. The bridge version is listed as being a tiny bit hotter than the neck & middle versions.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They really are incredible! I am getting some awesome hard rock crunch sounds from the bridge which is blowing my mind! Based on my hours of research on forums it seemed as though the general census is a strat bridge can’t rock. This bridge reminds my a little bit of my favorite Filtertron in one of my other guitars. It’s clear and open, but can have some balls with big rock chords! I’m sold on this set!

Comment

I ran into this same issue putting a single coil into the bridge of my Charvel. A couple seconds with a chisel and all was good.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

it was probably just a very tight rout being a cs guitar. the cs+ set is great! i ended up wanting a bit less cutting bridge pup so ended up with a vintage hot stack which suited me perfectly. glad you got things setup and are enjoying the new pups!

Comment

You did the right thing...a slight modification to the rout.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

i had to modify a humbucker rout for a reverse slant single coil bridge pup. like stv said, sharp chisel and a few seconds and it fit fine. coulda hand sanded it but this worked fine

Comment

Working...
                      X