Short scale guitar necks and double cutaways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short scale guitar necks and double cutaways

I know there’s the Flying V, Explorer, and Jaguar, but those guitar aren’t as available as the Strat and Les Paul. Is it because it’s not necessary for the Les Paul to have double cutaways since the notes are closer together because of the shorter scale?

are you talking about high fret access?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      are you talking about high fret access?
      Yeah

Comment

Well, really, for high fret access, you only need a single cutaway. When you hit the end of the neck going into the heel, your thumb should naturally float to the center of the neck, if it wasn't already there in the first place.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

right. i honestly dont think single vs double cutaway or scale length has much to do with high fret access as much as how far the lower cutaway lets you get your hand up the neck. like a les paul kinda gives unencumbered access to about fret 19, the strat gets you maybe a bit further, lets say 20. rg550 is probably 22. you can still hit those upper frets on any of em, but you need to adjust your hand position since your hand cant go any further

Comment

Part of reason why guitar makers avoided cutaways is because it compromises the neck join, if it's not a completely neck-through guitar. (See, if they had followed Les Paul's original 'log' design, they could have done whatever they wanted.)

Comment

I think it is more about the design of the cutaway than the scale length. The Strat and LP were designed in a time that high fret access wasn't the #1 priority, and tradition keeps them essentially the same since the 50s.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Shorter scale can actually be a hindrance for some fat finger dudes trying to play up high. But yeah as far as the OP it's all about the heel design.

Comment

Am I the only person here who has heard of the SG? You know, the ubiquitous 24.75" scale length double cutaway?

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                    Am I the only person here who has heard of the SG? You know, the ubiquitous 24.75" scale length double cutaway?
                    Nope

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

SG?
                      What's an SG?
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                      X