Ordered an Epiphone Les Paul 50's Goldtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered an Epiphone Les Paul 50's Goldtop

I have only one guitar and when it's in my luthier's shop getting worked on or adjusted I have nothing to play. So I decided to pick up a second axe. I've owned Epiphone Les Paul's before and I have had really good experiences with them.

The only dealbreaker may be the neck. This 50's Standard comes with a 59 rounded C type neck. If the neck is too chunky and fat I will most likely send it back and have them send me a Les Paul Classic in Heritage Cherry that comes with a slim taper neck.

I love baseball bat necks. They are comfy, and sound great.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

i love a big neck too. i miss my r6, huge neck on that sob. i know theyre not for everone and i dont know what your epi will come with, but i wouldnt guess something too skinny

Comment

l love big necks and I can not lie.

The trade-off for the big neck is killer tone and sustain, it is worth it to me.

Comment

59 necks aren't the big ones

Comment

I've grown to like bigger necks more as I've matured in my playing. I used to prefer skinnier necks but as I'm getting older I'm liking bigger necks more and more. I'm not talking about a baseball bat but on the chunkier side of C territory.
            It's funny how some stories became historic,
            especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
            But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              i love a big neck too. i miss my r6, huge neck on that sob.
              Like Mikelamury I started out liking thin necks, but my tastes changed over the years to where I'll always take thicker over thinner these days. My 335 has a huge neck like a R6/R8, and it was definitely worth the extra difficulty to track down. The necks on my Explorer and SGs are thinner than my LP or 335, but they're still considered 50s necks. That said, they're on the thinner side of what I like now.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I had a Les Paul classic by EPIPHONE as my second guitar for a long time. Loved it.

In my old age - I find I care less about the neck shape/size. I adapt pretty easily. Been playing a chunky Epi Dot lately, and skinny Jackson shred stick, and some medium LP styles...they all work.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I like small/thin necks, but a new guitar is a new guitar. Congrats!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I feel that. Biggest neck profile I can handle is 60s slim, and I prefer the skinny Norlin necks even more.

Comment

I have an Epiphone 1959 and a Gibson Les Paul Tribute, and they have pretty much the same neck profile. I find it interesting that people describe the Epiphone neck as a D-shape. I think it's pretty much just straight up the same as the Gibson.

Either way, I've gotten to tolerate both neck profiles, but I still prefer thinner necks. TBH, I had an Epiphone LP Custom with a 60's neck that sounded as good as if not better than the 1959 Epi with the fat neck.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-03-2022, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Well the Les Paul arrived today and thankfully it has a very nice, playable neck. The neck does not feel thick or chunky at all. It feels very comfortable in my hand. So this guitar is a keeper. So glad!

It is quite heavy though but that is okay with me.

Comment

What are you waiting for? Post some guitar pr0n bruh.
                          "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Here is a photo: Click image for larger version

Name:	Les Paul.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	6208981

Comment

The first decent guitar I ever played was my friend's older brother's Les Paul Goldtop, I still have a soft spot in my heart for the bullion.

Comment

Working...
                              X