banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good songs to learn for when I don't have a pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good songs to learn for when I don't have a pick?

What are some good songs for fingerpicking? They don't even necessarily have to be written with fingerstyle in mind. For example, I've already learned most of Purple Haze with my fingers.

i play frequently without a pick. if you want a finger picking song... i just heard jim croce operator and that would be a fun one to learn. or just play things you know, without a pick. its good practice and you dont have to put time in learning a new tune

Comment

Just get on the web and look, there aee dozens of artists and songs.

Knopfler
      Paul Simon
      James Tayler
      Paul Simon
      I think Neil Young also. There are tons of others too.

Comment

The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

i like the second paul simons stuff more than the first

Comment

The intro to Holiday by The Scorpions.

Comment

Find something you like and learn it. I got into finger picking really early on because I wanted to play the middle clean part of Metallica's "To Live is To Die." It's a fairly complex thing to start with, but I spent so much time learning it, I started finger picking all sorts of stuff.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Anything by Jeff Beck. Or Derek Trucks.

Comment

Or Lindsey Buckingham

Comment

I'd say Money for Nothing or Sultans of Swing.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

"Dust In The Wind began as a fingerpicking exercise. Kerry Livgren's wife heard him playing it and told him it should be a song.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Also do yall pick with your nails or the pads of your fingers? My nails are never long enough, but I feel most people use their nails.

It doesn't hinder me or anything, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
                          Also do yall pick with your nails or the pads of your fingers? My nails are never long enough, but I feel most people use their nails.

It doesn't hinder me or anything, just curious.
                          The left hand is trimmed short, and my right hand is trimmed slightly longer so I can pick with the pad or fingernail both give different textures. I also downstroke rake a lot with the front of my fingers with the nails ala Flamingo style. I love the effect.

Comment

I've really never dabbled much in fingerstyle guitar, but have been working to change that recently. Tunes that I'm practicing regularly now:
                            Dylan - Don't Think Twice
                            Clapton - Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
                            John Mayer - Neon
                            James Taylor - Fire and Rain

I play with the pads of my right hand fingers, so if I don't play regularly my fingers get kinda shredded. Never figured out the nail thing, other than the occasionally strummy type rake with the tops of the nails.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                            X