Slight bow in mandolin neck - advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight bow in mandolin neck - advice needed

My mandolin has a bit of a bow in the neck and it is affecting the playability seeing how short the neck is. I am getting ready to do a truss rod tweak. Should I simply approach it the way I would do a guitar/bass truss rod? Or are the other considerations I should be aware of before jumping in?

A truss rod is a truss rod. Good luck, let us know how you do.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Thanks Chris that is what I figured

Comment

Done. I didn't have a ton of play in the truss rod but it is close to where I would like to have it. Another half-turn would have been perfect.

Comment

My mandolin doesn't even have a truss rod. : (
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            My mandolin doesn't even have a truss rod. : (
            Mine is a budget Ibanez mandolin. I think I paid just north of $100 for it. It does have a truss rod and a pickup. It sounds decent with some mod, delay, or reverb. I have plugged it into the Marshall to see what it sounded like with high gain and as you can imagine it was a shrill feedback-filled mess. It does take to the JC 120 very nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Mine is a budget Ibanez mandolin. I think I paid just north of $100 for it. It does have a truss rod and a pickup. It sounds decent with some mod, delay, or reverb. I have plugged it into the Marshall to see what it sounded like with high gain and as you can imagine it was a shrill feedback-filled mess. It does take to the JC 120 very nicely.
              I found my mandolin in the old farmhouse that my dad was knocking down on his farm. It's an old bowlback Imperial mandolin . . . probably made around 1900. Plays OK, and is really freaking loud but could use a little truss rod adjustment. If there was a truss rod. :P
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Oh, man - I bet it sounds heavenly through a JC with the chorus on and a touch of verb...

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Cool, needs a DiMarzio though .

Solid top or lam?
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                    Cool, needs a DiMarzio though .

Solid top or lam?
                    It is a solid top. You are right a pickup swap would be nice, seeing I am not a fan of singles. I wonder if MJ could make me a little Black Winter to throw in it.

Comment

Is that piece of shipping foam still between the bridge and top?

Before you mess with the pickup, you should fit the bridge to the top. There are plenty of tutorials online, but I've had great luck with taping sandpaper to the top and carefully sliding the bridge back and forth so its contour matches the top. If you're not already using D'addario's 11.5-41 strings, I'd recommend those, too. Whether it was a $500 Eastman or a $10k Gibson F5, heavy strings improve the sound, and since you're not bending strings, you can get the action really low so it's no harder to play.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Is there room to add a washer beneath the TR nut? That can give it a bit more oomph if you're out of threads.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

It is a solid top. You are right a pickup swap would be nice, seeing I am not a fan of singles. I wonder if MJ could make me a little Black Winter to throw in it.
                          That would be amazing.
                          Originally posted by dominus
                          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                            Is that piece of shipping foam still between the bridge and top?
                            Yep, I never removed it to protect the top It is super thin I do now suspect it is changing the tone much, the instrument sounds fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                              Is there room to add a washer beneath the TR nut? That can give it a bit more oomph if you're out of threads.

Larry
                              The truss is deep under the neck and hard to see. I suspect if there is a nut and washer it is at the bottom of the neck. Right now, I would give the neck a 95/100, so I am more than happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X