Bubbles in Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubbles in Paint

I'm trying to paint a guitar body, but I keep getting bubbles in the dried paint. Solvent based rattle cans, not nitro.

Is this simply because I'm putting it on too thickly or could there be another reason?

Thanks in advance.

Most spray can finishes are mixed with a pretty hot solvent which boils off too quickly, making bubbles.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I’m just getting started on my paint journey so others will know far more than me….

The things I think of immediately are a contaminant between coats (did you clean with wax and grease remover before shooting) a paint incompatibility or maybe a layer of paint not adhering. (If it’s not lacquer, did you scuff between coats if it was fully dry?)

What are each of the paints you are using? (Primer, bases, any transparent and clears?)

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Make sure you're spraying very lightly and allowing everything to dry properly between. Multiple light coats will lead to a much better finish than fewer thick coats.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          Make sure you're spraying very lightly and allowing everything to dry properly between. Multiple light coats will lead to a much better finish than fewer thick coats.
          Yes, good point. The can will tell you time to recoat, it’ll be something like less than an hour or over 24 hours.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
            I'm trying to paint a guitar body, but I keep getting bubbles in the dried paint. Solvent based rattle cans, not nitro.

Is this simply because I'm putting it on too thickly or could there be another reason?

Thanks in advance.
            Are they actual "bubbles" (air/gas filled that pop as they dry)? Or are they blobs of paint?
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              I’m just getting started on my paint journey so others will know far more than me….

The things I think of immediately are a contaminant between coats (did you clean with wax and grease remover before shooting) a paint incompatibility or maybe a layer of paint not adhering. (If it’s not lacquer, did you scuff between coats if it was fully dry?)

What are each of the paints you are using? (Primer, bases, any transparent and clears?)
              I've been using Rustoleum glass lacquer.

I usually left it at least an hour between coats,. Overnight for the final coats. It didnt matter whether I sanded between coats or not.. The wood was sealed with sanding sealer first.

Comment

I am curious what the sealer was. Many paint products/brands do not play well with each other. I use auto primer, sprayed very dry in several coats. I then wet sand and clean the guitar with Prepsol before applying the paint. If you are spraying light that is a good start. If there is wax and grease in the finish you will get what is called "fish eyes" which are typically larger bubbles. Using a cleaner between products like Prepsol is a good practice to avoid fish eyes. It doesn't sound like this is the problem.

Tiny bubbles could be caused by many factors. Dust, temperature, and conflicting products can be factors. Spraying too thick can also cause bubbles but it seems like you are not going too thick.

Also, when spraying, make sure you are spraying past the guitar. Do not stop at the edge of the instrument this can cause build-up on the edges and more bubbles. Continue a steady path a few inches beyond the guitar.

Comment

^ Doing all of the above.

I'm baffled. It's also cost me a fortune in paint and sandpaper.

I'm about to strip the thing - again - and this time just go with a woodstain and clear poly.

Comment

Strip the finish chemically - don't sand it off.

Comment

Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                        Why not?
                        You chance removing more wood sanding the guitar again. Or making the surface uneven.

Comment

You chance removing more wood sanding the guitar again. Or making the surface uneven.
                          Exactly. The wood is already sanded (or should be). Chemically stripping the finish will remove any funkiness that may have caused bubbling of the finish, or any other troubles. Sanding will ALWAYS leave some finish behind, unless you sand it all back to clean wood. If you make sawdust - you went too far.

When I strip any finish, I remove the dissolved gunk with a plastic scraper (old plastic credit or gift cards work great). I then clean the whole surface with lacquer thinner or acetone using a light gray or white Scotchbrite pad, and finally a lintless wiper or cotton rag. Let it dry, rub it smooth with freshly washed hands. You'll feel any sticky places that still need cleaning, or raised fibers. Blow it all off with compressed air. Hang and let air dry for at least a couple hours - overnight is best. That gives any solvent time to outgas before you then stain or shoot sealer.

Comment

I find dealing with the goop left by paint stripper whose than sanding. And by using a relatively large orbital sander on the flat bits to sand just until I just see the wood I don't create divots.

I'm also concerned about old paint and stripper that's soaked into the grain.

Each to his own I suppose.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X