banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Got Any Experience With Ernie Ball Cobalt Regular Slinky Strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Got Any Experience With Ernie Ball Cobalt Regular Slinky Strings?

I've never tried them, but they say..."they are engineered to maximize output and clarity, provide an extended dynamic range, boost lows, boost and add clarity to highs. Cobalt provides a stronger magnetic relationship between pickups and strings than any other alloy previously available".

Is this all hype or is any of it true? If it's true I expect they'd sound amazing.

For those of you who have tried them, what so you think?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Ive used them a while back, I cant recall much other than I did like them a lot. Def clearer than standard Slinkys and they felt good to play.

I know that is not a tremendous help to ya but a def positive vote for them
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I've used them quite a bit, like them. I noticed the biggest difference on my old Charvel's (Models 3 and 6.) They do feel a bit different and they do have a subtle difference in tone/output but nothing drastic.

Comment

How do they compare price-wise to a regular Slinky set? If it isn't much of a cost, you could try at least once.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think they are roughly twice the price of regular slinkies. But Musicians Friend had them on their stupid deal of the day for about what regular slinkies cost. I needed strings so I just bought them and I'll see for myself what they sound like. I'm not expecting dramatic differences, but at $5 a set it's ok.

Comment

Great price! I would have snagged them, too!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I used to use the Cobalt Hybrid set quite often. Good tone and good longevity. At some point I switched to Dunlop Heavy Core because I tend to tune to D or drop C, and they proved a bit better suited for that purpose.
              But I wouldn't hesitate to give the Cobalts a shot. Very clear but not stringently bright tone, even when new.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to giving them a try.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to giving them a try.
                  Please keep us posted when you've had time to play them.

Comment

Will do. It may be a while though because I've got to get a half dozen guitars finished asap if not by yesterday.

Comment

I used to use Regular Slinkys quite a bit but I've cut back because I always noticed that they lost their brightness and freshness quite fast.

Comment

Never used the EB Cobalt, but always love the sound of Slinkys, they just seem to break on me with my heavy hand during the worst times (in the middle of performances) -so I dont use them often

I think these are likely meant to compete with Diaddario NYXLs which are excel at clarity and are sort of expensive
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                        X