banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBRD (Steinberger baritone resurrection day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBRD (Steinberger baritone resurrection day)

This began life as a Steinberger "Demon" baritone I got in (I think) 2008. I love playing it but it combined a bunch of great, smart ideas (the tuning mechanism and headpiece! The jack location! The zero fret and phenolic board!) with a handful of really dumb ones that made it hard to use (bizarrely offset side markers! Dreadful ergonomics! EMGs!). I took a bandsaw and belt sander to it at one point. Before that it looked more like the Batman logo, but the upper horns were in terrible spots for fretboard access. I had it set up with a 498T in the bridge for years, but I wound up in bands that didn't need baritone guitar and it languished. Pulled the pickup out at some point. It's been an empty shell for a while.

Yesterday I got a set of Elysian Trident II pickups in a trade and I found an extra jack and pickup ring and I'm finally making it whole again. Not sure about final wiring, but I had to try it, so the bridge pickup is just going to the jack. This is the clearest-sounding and most stable electric I have, and this is the clearest it's ever sounded. Currently in C# standard. 28 5/8" scale, which is definitely an adjustment after playing shorter scales recently, but super fun. Feels like going back home in a way. Intonation is surprisingly good for not having individual saddles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230126-142527.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	6217116

Name:	20230126-142649.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	6217117
    Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

I have never seen one of these...
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

It used to look like this:

Name:	s-l400.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	6217133
      Take it to the limit
      Everybody to the limit
      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

The jack location is brilliant, I agree. My Steinberger comes from this series, although it is the normal paddle one. Great guitars.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          The jack location is brilliant, I agree. My Steinberger comes from this series, although it is the normal paddle one. Great guitars.
          I really like the normal Steinberger body shape. I used to have a Hohner headless when I was a teenager and got used to it. Very comfortable. I never liked the original body shape of this one, I play metal but I always felt like it was trying too hard.
          Take it to the limit
          Everybody to the limit
          Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Working...
          X