banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That creeping green crusty stuff on my gold Johnny Smith pickup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That creeping green crusty stuff on my gold Johnny Smith pickup...

Greetings. Hopefully someone can help me remove the dreaded green creeping crusty stuff that has recently appeared on my 78(ish) Johnny Smith pick up assembly!

Where I live, humidity is fairly consistent below 20% so I open the case weekly to add humidity via a wet sponge, and release off-gassing accumulated in the case. Now I have this scourge!

Any good ways to clean it off without damaging the pick up cover?

Thank you all!

Unless you live where the relative humidity is less than 10% you are humidifying your guitar too often.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I've never found a need to humidify electric guitars. We get humidity around here that dips below 20% during the winter, and goes up to 70/80% during the summer. Acoustics - yes, they can be picky about humidity, but electrics are pretty tolerant.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Oh, and that green stuff? Not coming off unless you remove the plating from the pickup. Live with it - sorry.

And GuitarStv? A Johnny Smith IS an acoustic guitar - an archtop.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
        X