• Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you need to do is this.

Not this.

The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

What Clint and I said...the neck is essentially irrelevant, it's the frets that count. The frets are what the strings come into contact with when you're playing.

If your frets are fine, as you say, but you use a notched ruler and find that your neck/fretboard is off and so you adjust the truss rod to correct the neck bow, now your frets will have too much or too little relief and you could have buzz or other problems.

Forget about the notched ruler. It's a problem MAKER not a problem solver.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

always loved that album

Comment

If you wanna know what the neck relief IE what the neck is doing with wonky frets a notched straight edge works fine.
              If you wanna know what the frets themselves are doing any straight or off-set notched straight edge works fine.
              IDK why some here seem like "my way or the hiway" only apply.

Comment

Original posters are free to do what they want at any time. Telling him all he needs is a straight edge he already has in his house, and how that's the more legit way to do it anyway, makes it more convenient for him if he chooses to follow the advice.
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                  IDK why some here seem like "my way or the hiway" only apply.
                  When people give really good advice to a noobie or someone who wants to know an answer, especially when those people giving their advice know what they are talking about, they are NOT being... "my way or the hiway"! I think you're being too critical and judgmental. If someone wants to drive his car off a cliff to see what it's like to fly like a bird, wouldn't you try to strongly advise him not to?!

Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

When people give really good advice to a noobie or someone who wants to know an answer, especially when those people giving their advice know what they are talking about, they are NOT being... "my way or the hiway"! I think you're being too critical and judgmental. If someone wants to drive his car off a cliff to see what it's like to fly like a bird, wouldn't you try to strongly advise him not to?!

Any straight-edge notched or otherwise will work was my point.
                    If anyone was critical it was folks insisting their way works best.
                    I calls em as a see's em.
                    As for advice on the internet nobody really takes that serious at least i don.t.
                    Ask 1000 people the same question = get 1000 different answers.
                    In the last 15 years ive seen "dozens' of "noobs' blow up their amp by using "advice" on guitar forums and such.

Comment

I have a notched one with 24.75 on one side
                      and 25.5 on the other

If i want to measure the fretboard i use the notches
                      If i want to measue the frets
                      I slide it on top of them thare frets

Ni want to make sure the board is flat
                      befor i level the frets

Its really the first step in setting one up

I used do that with the strings
                      And if i cnat find my notched edge
                      i will

EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I don't want a notched straight edge. I got a straight one. If my guitar technician would have lived he could have sawed off a couple inches of a straight edge I've had for years. But that won't be happening now. I gotta straight one which is really nice and proper.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                          Ni want to make sure the board is flat
                          befor i level the frets
                          I was struggling to think of a use for the notched straight edge. That's it!

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                          Ask 1000 people the same question = get 1000 different answers.
                          In the last 15 years ive seen "dozens' of "noobs' blow up their amp by using "advice" on guitar forums and such.
                          Ka-pow
                          I bought them for you

Comment

I do not hear anyone saying a straight edge is wrong to use. What I am hearing is it is just as easy to use your eyes. Training yourself to use your eyes to assess neck bow or relief is a good thing seeing a straight edge is not always available. After a while the straight edge will not be used, needed or wanted. If there is a twist in the neck the straight edge can be a valuable tool, for a simple truss adjustment it is not necessarily needed.

Comment

There are very few Luthier specific tools that cant be easily built or modified at home or accomplished by using another method,

and I think it's totally fine to purchase cool more expensive luthier specific things that may save some time or effort -but if you are not a professional luthier with a necessary throughput speed to make your money, probably aren't a necessary choice and for some not a good use of money.

For me, Im not trying to spend more money on this kind of thing -because everything you chose to buy is also a choice NOT to buy something else you might want.

But there is absolutely no harm in buying the cool right tool if you want it, at least my response was just to give alternatives to spending that money that can accomplish the same result (perhaps a little slower at times)

Comment

I'd suggest the notched. Specifically, the one that is notched for both Gibson and Fender. Philadelphia Luthier Tools has them priced at $32.99.

Comment

Working...
                                X