The late 50's Les Pauls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The late 50's Les Pauls

I'm thinking about picking up a Epiphone Les Paul Classic. It comes with open coils. The description on it leads me to think that the late 50's Les Pauls came with open coils. I prefer covers on my pickups though.

But I'm just curious about it.

If you know please post.

50's Les Pauls did NOT come with open coils. That didn't happen until the 80's, if I remember correctly.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I prefer covers on my Les Pauls, also. Adding covers is a very easy and quick fix that can be done cheaply.

Comment

Last release of faded series comes with open coils. Basically a standard with flamed faded tops. You can have either 50 or 60 neck shape. The Les paul from 50s have all covered pickups. Some CC don't, but as copy of original guitars, I think, the owner removed the covers
        Last edited by EmiAba; 06-20-2023, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I think the Les Paul Classic is more of a 60's vibe rather than 50's with the thinner neck and the Grovers.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            50's Les Pauls did NOT come with open coils. That didn't happen until the 80's, if I remember correctly.
            Well . . . I mean . . .an awful lot of players took the covers off 50's Les Pauls before that:

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Well . . . I mean . . .an awful lot of players took the covers off 50's Les Pauls before that:

Yes, but those didn't come with the covers off originally.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

Yes, but those didn't come with the covers off originally.
                I think that's what he said.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

a modern epi lp is a fine guitar, but it sure as hell isnt a late 50s gibson. if you want covered pups, you can swap the pups to something like the duncan antiquitys which would be similar to what actually came in those vintage guitars, or you can pop covers on the stock pups in the guitar if you like the way they sound. i really enjoy a set of duncan 59s in the epi lps ive owned.

Comment

If you are buying an Epiphone, you should be planning on replacing the pickups anyway, so it does not matter what it comes with.

Comment

I most likely will put a Screamin' Demon in the neck (fantastic neck pickup) with a Custom Custom in the bridge. And I will put Seymour Duncan covers on so the covers fit correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                        If you are buying an Epiphone, you should be planning on replacing the pickups anyway, so it does not matter what it comes with.
                        And a good fret level and recrown. Modern Epiphones really aren't good in that department.

Comment

They are better in that department than Fender Stratocasters are.

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
                            They are better in that department than Fender Stratocasters are.
                            Really? I bought two Epis last year. Both unplayable out of the box because of being high fret galore. One of them just plain unfixable because the frets weren't properly seated towards the treble side at many positions.

Not buying Epi again, TBH. At least not without going through one with a magnifying glass.

Comment

An experienced and good guitar luthier can fix things like that. I know mine could. He was fabulous.

Comment

Working...
                              X