No announcement yet.

Pros and cons- Alex Lifeson Epi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to me about frets.. scratchy on the end or not leveled or what?
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by zionstrat View Post
      Talk to me about frets.. scratchy on the end or not leveled or what?
      On that Matt Heafy LP it was both. Not horrible or unplayable or anything, just not great. I had a guy level and smooth them and it's nicer now. Frets on my Schecters both came in much nicer shape.

Pickup changes are also a pain in the butt because of how long and narrow the hole is between the pickup routs and the control cavity. Might not be a problem with the Lifeson.

Take it to the limit
      Everybody to the limit
      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I've had two newer Epis, so my sample size isn't enormous. But I do keep reading and hearing the same issue with the frets on Epis with online reviews and whatnot.

The most common issue is people find they're scratchy. No biggie, polish them and that's it.

The second most common issue is they're uneven and they need a fret leveling and recrowning and whatnot. Not THAT big of an issue, but I do find it pretty annoying to have to spend whatever the shop wants to charge you for a fret leveling on a brand new guitar. Both of mine were like this, sadly.

The worst issue I had with one of mine was that the frets were not properly seated, and there were some gaps on the edge of the fretboard and the frets where the strings would sometimes get caught.

Also, the fret material is not amazing either. I play my Gibson a lot more than I do my Epi, and it looks like the strings are impressing more on the Epi. But that's pretty common most mid to lower-end guitars, I think. And I do play very hard, so that's to be expected.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 08-20-2023, 11:27 AM.

Comment

My other big gripe with Epis is their Lock Tone bridge is trash. The saddles rattle and buzz like crazy andi their plating is super flimsy, especially the gold. Luckily, the Lifeson doesn't suffer from that issue.

Comment

The Gibson version has a piezo doesn't it?
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I believe it does and it's definitely something I would look into retrofitting... Trying to remember can you put ghosts in a Floyd?
              What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

i looked at the link above
                and it wasn't listed as piezo
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                X