Necessity of stainless steel frets/refretting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessity of stainless steel frets/refretting

So for some context, I'm looking at a barely played basically brand new guitar. If I do purchase this guitar, it will be one of 4 guitars I own and I plan on buying 3 more guitars for a total of 7 guitars.

I am not a professional or working musician and I don't plan on playing the same guitar everyday or maybe even playing everyday at all.

As such, do you think it's necessary for me to go for stainless steel frets?

The guitar I'm looking at differs very little from another similar candidate but the price difference is very big. The other more expensive candidate has stainless steel frets (vs regular frets on the cheaper one) and a swamp ash body (vs alder). They both have a hss configuration with SD pickups, with the expensive one coming with a pegasus bridge and the cheaper one coming with a custom 5 bridge. The bridge humbucker is not a big/deciding factor for me as it can be easily and relatively cheaply switched out. (although I am leaning towards the custom 5 and as such may switch out the pegasus if I go for the expensive one)

Thoughts?

I figure if I become a working musician and get the cheaper one, I'll be able to easily afford refretting or buying a new guitar anyway should the need arise; if I buy the cheaper non stainless steel fret guitar.
    Last edited by T-800; 08-19-2023, 03:26 PM.

Stainless is really for guys that either have a strong grip (which they shouldn't on guitar), or play so much professionally they are wearing down the frets and can't keep the guitar playing in tune and setup without buzz, etc.

I'd go by specs of what you want to play / sound like. Ash will be brighter. Pegasus hotter. Custom 5 is a great all around do-anything pickup. The other things to look at are hardware, what kind of tuners, bridge, etc.

Comment

Go for the cheaper one. I love SS frets, but I play shows all the time, and they last longer. I wouldn't care if I wasn't playing so much. Also, the Custom 5 is a great pickup.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Stainless is really for guys that either have a strong grip (which they shouldn't on guitar), or play so much professionally they are wearing down the frets and can't keep the guitar playing in tune and setup without buzz, etc.

I'd go by specs of what you want to play / sound like. Ash will be brighter. Pegasus hotter. Custom 5 is a great all around do-anything p ickup. The other things to look at are hardware, what kind of tuners, bridge, etc.
        thank you for the reply!

other than the colourway and the expensive one POSSIBLY having scalloped frets from frets17-24; the differences I've already listed are the only differences. I've never tried and therefore am not used to scalloped frets anyway so it isn't like I know what I'm going to be missing out on. I like hearing that the custom 5 is a lot more versatile, I don't want this guitar to be a one trick pony.
        Last edited by T-800; 08-19-2023, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Go for the cheaper one. I love SS frets, but I play shows all the time, and they last longer. I wouldn't care if I wasn't playing so much. Also, the Custom 5 is a great pickup.
          thank you for the reply!

yes, from what I've heard with samples and read with descriptions, it sounds like what I want.

Comment

Stainless frets arent that expensive on guitars anymore

Many of the budget guitars have them now
            For under $500

I have several with Stainless frets and not one was over $500

The three most expensive guitars i have didnt come with Stainless frets

I started playing on cheap acoustics
            I have a death grip on the neck

I was pushing my Ibanez sharp when i played it

I havent had any trouble with frets wearing out

Not a professional or everyday player either

My professional friends played four to five hours a day/ 6 days a week
            it took years to create wear

i don't see Stainless as an upcharge

EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

There's another reason for the stainless steel frets... If you've got a guitar that you're going to keep for a long time... I've got an SG that I've had for 30 plus years... It is not one of my prime gigging guitars, but upper fretts are gouged because it's one of my favorite home guitars, and it's so much fun to get up that neck.

Ss really wasn't an option in the old days but it is an advantage if its played a lot, either by gigging or just holding on to it.
              Last edited by zionstrat; 08-26-2023, 07:30 AM.
              What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Regular frets are fine if (if!) they are of good quality, however with stainless now coming on mid-level production models it is hard to pass up, even if the models are a couple hundred more.

Are you looking at Schecter models? My last two have been Schecters with stainless, but those were purchased just before the panicdemic and inflation boom.

Comment

SS frets used to be a premium option on very expensive instruments, but it is trickling down to lower price points now...sort of like roasted maple and locking tuners.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

normal frets will last a long time with moderate use and if you need a refret eventually, you can go with ss down the road. if that and the pup are the significant differences, if get the cheaper one

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      Heavy strings and higher action both tend to increase fret wear as well. Bends are much nicer on stainless steel frets too - SS stays polished where regular frets tarnish quickly and drag the string. Stainless steel frets are better in every way than regular frets - the only reason to go for the latter is if you can't afford SS.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Are you trying to infiltrate this forum to find Sarah Connor?

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                          Regular frets are fine if (if!) they are of good quality, however with stainless now coming on mid-level production models it is hard to pass up, even if the models are a couple hundred more.

Are you looking at Schecter models? My last two have been Schecters with stainless, but those were purchased just before the panicdemic and inflation boom.
                          Ltd. Both are the same model actually, just from different years. The expensive one with ss frets is a later model and brand new, the cheaper one without ss frets is older and used but in great condition.

Comment

Working...
                          X