banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incoming NGD: Trying my luck with another Jackson!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd just go for another crackle. That things looks FINE. Wish I'd come across one of those here. the chances of you getting another with those issues is pretty slim imo..

I've been pretty happy with pretty much every Indo guitar I've ever bought. Never had an issue with even one. Even the fretwork has always been a step beyond the china Stuff etc...not that those have been bad per say either tbh...at worse I might need to grind down a fret or two. Maybe I'm just lucky..

Personally I prefer the feel/tone/response of bolt-on's but I've played some great snappy neck-through's as well...so I guess I would happily rock either
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

This guitar is packaged to go back. But if I buy another one, the top might not be as nice, and it may also need fretwork (which is something I eventually do on all of my guitars.)

Which leaves the binding issue. Does anyone know if/how this could be fixed? In my mind, I'm thinking the back of the neck would be taped off, the binding sanded smooth, and then refinished by spraying over the top of the binding and blending into the neck clear coat.

This is a ridiculous amount of surgery to perform on one new guitar. But I'm just curious if it could be fixed while retaining the original neck finish?

Comment

Personally, to my knowledge, once there's a seam in a finish, the only way to get rid of it is to refinish the whole thing. Any time you tape something off, you get another seam. It's rare I've seen a partial refinish adequately blended into the original finish. But I don't do finishing for a living, so my view is just worth a grain of salt and 1 cent.

Was the seam bothering your hand or thumb while playing? Or is it just a cosmetic peeve? If it's the former and it's a raised seam, I would try sanding it down and buffing it out. If it's an indented seam, I'd try filling it and buffing it out. If it's just cosmetic and doesn't affect your playing and everything else about the guitar is what you really wanted, I'd just forget out it and play play play.

Comment

Its just cosmetic. But the neck also has a problem. I'm going to do a more accurate measurement to see how much the frets would have to be chopped down in the middle to make it playable and to make sure the truss rod is working properly.

But its stupid to waste time on this. A new one from MF would be $300 more and give $70 cash back points, so only $230 more. (But then the replacement might not look nice or stay in tune.)

The problem is PAS are claiming they don't refund shipping, so I have to fight them on that. If I return it I could be out shipping both ways??

I'm convinced this is lower than B-stock as it doesn't have an inspected sticker, and the box is marked for EU sale. This is not what I wanted. I wanted a nice new guitar in my hands to be playing right now!

Comment

I wouldn't waste my time on it either. If you already decided you don't like it, and the guitar is a sore spot anyway, you simply won't play it no matter what you fix on it.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
              Its just cosmetic. But the neck also has a problem. I'm going to do a more accurate measurement to see how much the frets would have to be chopped down in the middle to make it playable and to make sure the truss rod is working properly.

But its stupid to waste time on this. A new one from MF would be $300 more and give $70 cash back points, so only $230 more. (But then the replacement might not look nice or stay in tune.)

The problem is PAS are claiming they don't refund shipping, so I have to fight them on that. If I return it I could be out shipping both ways??

I'm convinced this is lower than B-stock as it doesn't have an inspected sticker, and the box is marked for EU sale. This is not what I wanted. I wanted a nice new guitar in my hands to be playing right now!

Yeah two way shipping makes it cost the same as a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Yeah two way shipping makes it cost the same as a new one.
                I'll have to take a close look at the neck and see if it can be salvaged. I know I can make it playable, just not sure how much I would have to take out of the frets.

The guitar sounds really good, it looks great, and the floyd stays in tune really well.

I'm burned out on this. I could have already crowned/leveled it and be enjoying it. Its been in the box the whole time I've had it.

A level/crown/polish probably takes the same time as returning this and ordering another.
                Last edited by Top-L; 09-03-2023, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I'm 90% sure I'm going to keep this one. It sounds great, looks great, and stays in perfect tune.

Measured out the frets and I'm pretty sure a level will handle it without taking too much from the frets; doesn't seem to be a problem with the truss rod, just an inconsistency on the treble side. And I'm pretty sure I can treat/stain/wax the fretboard to make it look better.

If I return this and get another one, I will spend $300 more (and that guitar might have its own problems), and for that I could get another JS34 to tinker with.

Comment

This neck is ****ed.

There is a moderate difference, side to side regarding relief. When bass side it straight, treble side has some backbow. This is with strings on, so maybe not unexpected.

What was unexpected is that the frets seem to have been parially leveled, perhaps only on one end, creating a pretty dramatic see saw. When board is completely straight, there is a mountain in the middle. But only on the treble side.

I dont see any way for this to have happened without some dumbass doing something. Like maybe they sent it to some clown who tried to spot level some frets on one end without understanding what it would do to the entire neck. Cant imagine factory would do this.
                    Last edited by Top-L; 09-04-2023, 09:16 PM.

Comment

This guitar is gone! When the bass side was straight, there was a see-saw in the treble side. A backbow about 1.5mm. This was way beyond my ability to repair.

Comment

Yea that is too much relief-difference between the bass and treble sides of the neck. Should be no more than .2mm difference. Good eye but sucks it must go.

Comment

Working...
                        X