Titanium neck rods, anyone use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium neck rods, anyone use?

One of my clients sent me this link. He's thinking about having me install a pair of these in the neck of one of his many P-basses. Anyone here used them, or know of anyone who has? They should add stiffness without adding much weight.

Titanium Neck Reinforcement Bar & Truss Rods | KTS - Titanium Bridges – KTS Musical Products Inc. (k-t-s.com)
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Interesting. I hadn't heard about this, so I'd be interested to hear more about them if you decide to work on them.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

No personal experience but one company that comes to mind as having used them a bit is Ibanez, in Prestige and sig level models. I think the current Premium floral Jem has them, the 20th RG550s did too, iirc.
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Would it be any better than the carbon fiber ones that have been available for a while now?
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have graphite rods in some of my thin necks

Titanium is just more expensive to me
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

"Better" is a nebulous term when talking about reinforcement neck rods. In MOST cases of modern necks, nothing is required to keep them straight and stable. I put 2-way adjustable truss rods in all of my necks NOT because they need them for stability, but because they allow some adjustability to fit the playing needs of the individual guitarists. Additional carbon fiber, graphite, or titanium rods are superfluous and only add to the expense.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I actively avoid everything mass inside the neck, including double truss rods.

Have played too many dead necks. Don't want more.

Comment

Carbon fiber is stiffer. Maximum Guitar Works did a comparison.

I am however using a titanium truss rod in an ultra lightweight guitar I’m building for a client. It has a balsa neck wrapped in carbon fiber. Also two CF rods and the titanium double action truss rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will be the first one to say I don't understand the science of it..and I am not a traditionalist by any means- if a better idea comes by, I love to learn about it.

But there seems to be 2 camps about this..pro-rods (of any type), and anti-rods. Some necks work without even a truss rod, and I have also used really great necks that were hollow graphite but very stable (and no truss rod).

So where did this come from? Was there a great neck twist-a-thon of the early 80s?

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Mostly marketing. So they can say, "Buy our guitars. They have titanium rods, or carbon rod or (etc.) so they are better".
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Carvin had some trouble back in the 80s with necks warping on their basses
                      and Leo used Pine necks for the the first esquires, those warped

Warped necks were a thing until truss rods and carbon fiber rods

the graphite rods allowed for the slimmer necks that we love
                      and you dont need to use the quarter sawn maple neck
                      you can manufacture with less expensive woods and get good results
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                        I actively avoid everything mass inside the neck, including double truss rods.

Have played too many dead necks. Don't want more.
                        The nicest sounding neck that I've ever played had a double truss rod.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                        X