banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider these tops "AAA Flamed Maple"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you consider these tops "AAA Flamed Maple"?

I would expect more for a 3K guitar.

I give one A at best.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Actually, they very well could be AAA. Lighting has a huge effect on flamed tops, and Sweetwater really floods the zone in a way that doesn't let you see everything.

Comment

Barley one notch above plaintop.

Comment

The other three tops are nicer than the one they picked for the main shot. I agree that first one doesn't look too great in the photo. Maybe it's better in person? Maybe whoever was grading tops that day had a quota of triple As to fill? It's all a bit subjective. I love flamed maple and LPs, but I wouldn't pay what they're asking.
          Take it to the limit
          Everybody to the limit
          Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

They are AAA based on Gibson's spec, but yeah, I would pass on all 4, the first one is just okay. I passed on many LPs before I bought my first one, and the top was the main reason I passed on a few of them.

Comment

That rating is abused by many people.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                That rating is abused by many people.
                Well, it is a marketing thing more than anything, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Well, it is a marketing thing more than anything, isn't it?
                  Right. Most people think there is some insider wood knowledge along with some complicated-looking pie charts and graphs that state what the different 'flame ratings in maple' are. In reality, Slash and Gibson want to move some guitars.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    They are AAA based on Gibson's spec, but yeah, I would pass on all 4, the first one is just okay. I passed on many LPs before I bought my first one, and the top was the main reason I passed on a few of them.
                    I would rather have a solid than a bad flame.

Comment

Ugh. Do people find that finish attractive? I hate the traffic-sign yellow color.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

I would rather have a solid than a bad flame.
                        I have five Gibsons; 4 are solid finishes, one has the "AAA" top and I wouldn't even consider that the best-looking of the group.

Comment

They don't look AAA to me, but I agree it could be the lighting. One or more of them might be stunning in person.
                          Still, great flame usually is apparent in almost any lighting, even if it isn't being shown at its best that way.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

This one i had was AAAA.

Comment

There are lots of factors that go into rating the flame of maple. I've seen some legitimately rated AAAA wood that just "looked" like A to me as far as depth of flame is concerned. You also have to consider the consistency of the flame throughout the entire piece of wood (length and width), the size of the flame, etc. Those tops could very well be AAA tops, even though the 9lbs 1oz to me only appears to be A grade.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X