Clear All

The Sophia cost as much as I paid for the guitar
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

If you are going to replace the FR I would suggest at least taking a look at Sophia before making the investment. It is what I got to replace my FR Special and I am very happy with it.

Anything that gets those fine tuners back out of the way has to be an improvement.
      Take it to the limit
      Everybody to the limit
      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
        The Sophia cost as much as I paid for the guitar
        Do you have a pic? I wonder if its the same one I have.

Mine is very well constructed guitar for what I paid. Direct mount Seymour Duncans, binding, stays in perfect tune. Really just flawless for the price.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210327_194819.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	6247723

Here is my M400, Im sure they are the same guitar, yours is just painted where mine is natural
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            How does the Sophia compare to the FR in use?
            Depends you set it up. Mine is blocked. I find it a bit stiffer than the FR Special in a good way. I find FR trems to be overly sensitive and wobbly. It is very smooth and easy to control. The best thing is tool-free string changes especially live.

Comment

Depends you set it up. Mine is blocked. I find it a bit stiffer than the FR Special in a good way. I find FR trems to be overly sensitive and wobbly. It is very smooth and easy to control. The best thing is tool-free string changes especially live.
              If you want a Floyd to be less sensitive, put another spring on it.

If you want double stops, get a trem setter.

With a floyd if a string breaks you can unwind some from the post and reclamp without changing strings.

Comment

I have an Ibanez with and edge III trem
                it has had a broken E string at the tuner for 3 years now
                it is still in tune
                havent had to tune it in 5-6 years
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I do not know why that comment would make you enemies. Not every guitar gels with every guitarist.
                  Only reason for me saying that is I've been blasted before for making similar comments about my personal likes and dislikes for certain guitars. I've got no desire to offend anyone when expressing my feelings but it does seem to happen.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

The assumption that owners of LTD guitars would get offended is more galling than him not liking the guitars. 8)
                    So you DID get offended by my statement.
                    Proves my point.
                    And this is why I made that statement.

Comment

Not every guitar is gonna float your boat, doesnt faze me a bit and honestly if the fact you dont like LTDs bothers someone, thats their issue.

Thanks for your honesty. Obviously Top-L got bothered.

Don't understand why somone would have an issue because someone didnt like thwir brand of guitar, car or deoderant.

I do appreciate yours and everyone else's input and seems the FRS could be the main culprit. Have to think about that one, do I want to spend $200+ on a guitar I paid $400 or do I either sell/trade it or stick it in the closet for now
                      I agree. Like I said, it's got to be the hardware...bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Thanks for your honesty. Obviously Top-L got bothered.
                        Not bothered. It was a meta comment. Do you need me to explain it to you?

Comment

Not bothered.
                          Maybe not "bothered", but you were (in your words) "galled" by it (which, if I understand correctly, means "irritated").

Do you need me to explain it to you?

Only if you feel you need to. I'll be glad to listen to your rant of rationalization. But I'm more inclined to just say "get over it", and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Maybe not "bothered", but you were (in your words) "galled" by it (which, if I understand correctly, means "irritated").

Only if you feel you need to. I'll be glad to listen to your rant of rationalization. But I'm more inclined to just say "get over it", and be done with it.
                            Ok, so you didn't understand it.

Your assumption that LTD owners would be offended by your negative opinion of the guitars, is a slight against their character, not against the guitars.

Most adults accept that not everyone likes the same things that they do. But you were suggesting that LTD owners would not be "adult" and would be upset fanboys because your opinion was different.

And I certainly am not upset.

If I dislike something, I'm not going to preface with "owners of this product arent going to like me for saying this'". (That is a bit of flame baiting, actually.) I just accept that everyone has their own opinions and they won't think negatively of me for expressing a different opinion. We are adults after all.

In retrospect, you got the response/attention you were seeking in your original flame bait.

Comment

So I will start small and if the changes Im going to make doesnt help, Ill revisit what to do next, have a new Dimarzio push/pull pot and mm 37mm FR block along w some noiseless springs in my Sweetwater cart. Im not expecting much out of these changes but it surely cant hurt to give them a try and not really expecting the springs to do much of anything tone wise.
                              Jackson Soloist 7 string
                              ESP LTD M-400

Comment

So I will start small and if the changes Im going to make doesnt help, Ill revisit what to do next, have a new Dimarzio push/pull pot and mm 37mm FR block along w some noiseless springs in my Sweetwater cart. Im not expecting much out of these changes but it surely cant hurt to give them a try and not really expecting the springs to do much of anything tone wise.
                                One thing I swapped, which was super cheap and may have had a positive impact on tone, was the trem claw mounting screws. I swapped them to brass wood screws from Home Depot.

The original screws that shipped were stripped and made of cheap metal. If swapping parts, the mounting screws are as likely to have an effect as the springs.

Comment

Working...
                                X