Rubber Bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber Bridge?

Are these a thing now? I've heard a few people on seperate occasions talk about them in the past few weeks
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Yes, they are. I wouldn't try it with a good guitar. I would try it with a cheap acoustic instead. It's supposed to approximate the sound of early Delta blues.

Comment

In the 70s Ovation put nylon saddles on some of their electrics for a short period. I got the brass saddles thank God

Comment

It's just the most modern attempt at reducing sustain... One of my favorite rhythm tracks, ever, is George Harrison on What is Life.... It almost sounds like a banjo but he had woven yarn in between his strings right at the bridge to kill the sustain and leave the beautiful plunk.

I considered building a low sustain guitar one time, but decided it's a heck of a lot easier to just thread some yarn through the strings :-)
        What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

About the same effect as mutes, which are built-in to certain Gretsches and Fender Jaguars and a couple other makes/models. Mutes are/were more common on bass. If it's a sound you like, go for it. Of course, you could just go to the pawn shop and buy a $25 sh!tty guitar and get the same result.

Comment

I just saw some ads for them in Vintage Guitar. I have never heard about them. They were advertised on an archtop. That can't be good, right?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You might try a piece of foam rubber under the strings near the bridge.
              I believe bass mutes were closed-cell foam similar to the stuff used under P90 pickups.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Josh at JHS had a video on a parlor guitar with a rubber bridge

I agree its trying th capture the lofi vibe of crappy blues guitars from the 1920s
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Definitely something that I'll pass on.

Comment

When I was in high school my uncle gave me an old Pencrest steel string acoustic and I put a strat pickup in the sound hole. It was perfect for the alternative and grunge of the era.

Comment

Looking at the threads here, sounds like Hsb has a guitar they'd like to sell you.

Comment

I think I'd rather have a rubber biscuit

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          Looking at the threads here, sounds like Hsb has a guitar they'd like to sell you.
                          If the price is right
                          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                          Jackson Soloist 7 string
                          ESP LTD M-400
                          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Working...
                          X