banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I need to adjust the rod but which way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guy that did my frets did an excellent job. There was absolutely no buzzing frets anywhere. If I called him up and told him I think I have some high frets I can just imagine what he would say. It's is much, much more likely that the neck has shifted a bit due to humidity and temperature changes and the fact that it's a new guitar. I doubt very much that my late guitar technician always re-leveled the frets when I told him I had some buzzes developing.

Comment

Well I just got done practicing on my Player Strat and I still got some buzzing. Most every fret has a slight or some frets more noticeable buzz. I took my straight edge and a magnifying glass and looked at the relief at the 8th fret. There is practically none. The straight edge is practically touching the fret. I think I may have straightened the neck too much.

I'm going to put some relief back in the neck and see where that gets me.

Comment

Usually you've got have some relief.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
          Well I just got done practicing on my Player Strat and I still got some buzzing. Most every fret has a slight or some frets more noticeable buzz. I took my straight edge and a magnifying glass and looked at the relief at the 8th fret. There is practically none. The straight edge is practically touching the fret. I think I may have straightened the neck too much.

I'm going to put some relief back in the neck and see where that gets me.
          Sometimes that kind of buzz doesn't even come through the amp. I don't concern myself about that.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Acoustic buzz on an electric guitar is not a big deal. Buzz coming through the amp? It's time to make some choices.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I hear all buzzes. If the string does not ring true it's got to be fixed. I've got very good ears. I put a little more relief in the neck and I will try it tonight and see if the buzzing is still there.

Comment

I would not know how to use that. If I could watch a video with a guy using it. Would help.

Comment

I would not know how to use that. If I could watch a video with a guy using it. Would help.
                  It's a ruler.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I'm trying to visualize how I would use it.
                    Last edited by Napthol; 09-27-2023, 12:17 PM.

Comment

So much for the internet generation.

Comment

Or buy the book I suggested. Really, you need to put a bit of concerted effort into learning how guitars work, not just look for 'yes/no' answers to specific questions. Not knowing which way to turn the rod means you really don't understand what you'd doing; fix that first and all this gets amazingly easy.

Larry

Comment

Good news. I have been able to minimize my buzzing neck. My Player Strat is playing a lot better now. Hopefully having this initial success will build my self-confidence.

Comment

Good news. I have been able to minimize my buzzing neck. My Player Strat is playing a lot better now. Hopefully having this initial success will build my self-confidence.
                            How did you arrive there?
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If I recall correctly, I loosened the truss rod twice and raised my action. I prefer a higher action anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X