banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever Had A Gtr Cable That Erased Your Tone Control??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever Had A Gtr Cable That Erased Your Tone Control??

After changing a pup in my Jazzmaster, I had pulled a neatly, loosely wrapped, & rarely used Mogami 2524 15ft cable, & I figured I had knocked my tone cap loose upon reinstalling the guard as the tone control was deactivated AND ALSO, the taper on my volume pot resided between 8 & 10.... Anything below 8 was zilch signal,,, Then I picked up 4 more guitars & they ALL had the same reaction,,, NO Tone Control & next to zero Volume sweep,,, until I tried another cable, & (whew) everything came back to life.... How does a quality cable go so horribly bad, & has anyone ever seen this before?? thnx
    Last edited by zozoe; 09-21-2023, 10:45 PM.

I have noticed with shorter cheaper cables (< 10 ft) more highs
    with longer cheaper (> 10 ft) less highs
    the George L cable being the benchmark I use for cables

using cheap wireless it sounds pristine like the George L cable
    but sometimes intermittent
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Not sure exactly what's happening. I've never had a cable do what you say (I've got several dozen different cables). Did you check the connections inside the plug?

Mogami is a good brand of cable and is one of the best cables I own for transmitting the full tone of the pups to the amp (I know there are different qualities of cable within the brand). Other cheap cables, especially if they are long, will remove the highs from your tone. But I've never had ANY cable affect the volume taper like you said.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah,, I'll check the connections,, but yes, it altered my volume taper, & totally eliminated the function of my tone control,,, on 5 guitars... I'll report back & thnx

Comment

Well, looks like I won't be winning any soldering run-offs any time soon Even though the one right angle (that i installed) looked good, i simply lop'd it off, & with alligator clips, connection was made, & all controls back to normal... Now to check on any & all cables I had my mits on,,,, Thnx folks!!

Comment

Only on my air guitar. . .

No seriously, I've had several cables that sounded like crap.

Comment

Here lies the culprit.... Being a first-time Mogami user, I wasn't aware of this extra clear shielding that makes yà or breaks yà!! thnx again~ Click image for larger version

Name:	20230922_181111.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	6249933

Comment

Yup. That’s the shielded center conductor, or the hot wire. The other is the outer shield to ground. Tin those wires before you solder them to the plug. It’ll make for a much better connection.

Comment

That cable effectively became a large series resistor.

Comment

Working...
                  X