banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does higher tension on guitar strings mean they are going to stay in tune better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does higher tension on guitar strings mean they are going to stay in tune better?

I heard that strings with higher tension stay in tune better because thet are hard to move. Is this true?

I use 9's tuned down a half-step on practically all my guitars. Never had any problems with tuning. So "no" for me,,
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Usually, tuning issues have to do with friction at the contact points, not so much the tension of the strings. Some great players use tiny strings with trems and lots of normal bending, and on a well-set up guitar, it can stay in tune.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If your guitar nut is cut for 9 gauge strings and you put 11's on the guitar, it may cause even more tuning issues because of binding at the nut. What guitar are you having tuning issues with and what type of tuners are on it?

Comment

I heard that strings with higher tension stay in tune better because thet are hard to move. Is this true?
          I've only found this to be true on classical strings. The high tension strings normally sound better and last longer.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

There are many advantages to heavier strings... but never heard of tuning...

https://www.guitaryoudreamabout.com/...ts-and-strings
            Last edited by zionstrat; 09-26-2023, 03:17 PM.
            What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Simply - No.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Usually has to do with the type of guitar & the tuners.

Comment

My electric guitars that stay in tune the best are more or less mechanically terminated at the nut - one Steinberger with string ends right behind the zero fret, and two locking Floyd Rose trems. The guitars with traditional cut nuts and headstock tuners stay in tune better when I keep a decent amount of graphite in the nut slots. I haven't noticed changes in string tension making a difference.
                  Take it to the limit
                  Everybody to the limit
                  Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I haven't experienced the gauge of string affect tuning stability in the 45+ years I've been playing. YMMV

Comment

Thank you all for the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X