How to clean guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean guitars

I dusted off my ES-175 and it's fairly dirty from when I used to play it regularly. How do I get the tarnish off the electronics and clean the fretboard?

I believe lighter fluid or naphtha is the current wisdom
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Denatured alcohol on a cloth will do for the fretboard. Even a tiny bit of dish soap with water if it's really dirty. I've used Windex on poly finishes, or EndDust. Not sure what to use on Nitro, but that's because I've never had one.

Comment

Gorgomyte/Miracle Cloth for the fretboard/frets. Spit & an old T-shirt for the body
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Comment

In my experience brasso works great for most badly tarnished nickel or brass hardware. Tarnished gold hardware is ****ed though - you're going to lose the gold plating no matter what you do. For a fretboard that's really bad scrape gunk off with a credit card and then use a toothbrush and naptha (you will want to oil the fretboard afterwards).
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
            X