Schecter’s negative Gibson headstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schecter’s negative Gibson headstock

Maybe this is common knowledge but I saw this pic today and it cracked me up. That’s one way to avoid a lawsuit lol

Sticking it to the man
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Never noticed that before. Clever as hell.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
            That's actually pretty funny

Comment

Gibson builds nice guitars but they remind me of GM/Cadillac in the 1950s with their fanbase cult. PRS might even be worse (I think Gibson needs to sue PRS more than anyone else).

Gibson's exorbitant prices for their guitars new only generate profit margins to pay legal fees for Gibson to sue their competitors, creating less competition and allowing Gibson to charge even higher prices.

I respect them as an historical company that crafted iconic body shapes for heavy metal music decades before the world was ready, mainly the Explorer.

When newer companies innovated the Explorer in the 1980s it was a good thing. They did this mainly by increasing the scale length to 25.5" and adding a Floyd Rose bridge. I do not see a problem here because, while the shape is similar to a Gibson, the guitar design is fundamentally different due to the scale length increase and floating bridge.

Further, I do not understand how so many people can continue to remain loyal to a company like Gibson that overextended itself, went bankrupt, got back on its feet when it didn't deserve to based on its business practices, and now is suing people as an additional revenue stream. It's like Gibson's customers are choosing to reward bad.

Moreover, I don't see any of these lawsuits slowing down nearly exact (visually) Gibson copies made in the People's Republic of China and sold on Ebay, Alibaba, DHGate, etc. A U.S. court can rule in Gibson's favor to stop production and the Chinese Communist Party can just say, "No," because their entire point is to weaken U.S. companies. Nothing will happen.

In that light, Gibson is only hurting other American companies by trying to destroy Dean, IMO. And I say that when I don't like Dean designs much at all.

Comment

I don't support them. I buy used.

Never knew the headstock thing. That's funny.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I don't like Gibson as a company, but I love the Les Paul shape sooooo much, LOL.

Comment

I'll put it this way. The Kirk Hammett Greenie model is about $20k.

Meanwhile, I met with a foundation guy who looked at my house today. It's an older house built on a slope around 1960 with a slab foundation. Maybe 1,600 sq. feet.

Over the decades, there's been some settling--about 1 inch. Some interior waterproofing, landscaping, and a piering system could shore up the part of the house that's sinking slightly.

He quoted me a price of just under $24k to do it. (I said no for more reasons than cost, but that's another story.)

When a guitar costs more than the combined knowledge needed to drive steel piers into the ground, lift a house's foundation without breaking anything, installing the plumbing and electrical needed for a sump pump and drainage, and then putting it all back so it looks normal...

...it's an understatement to say that guitar costs too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post

Meanwhile, I met with a foundation guy who looked at my house today. It's an older house built on a slope around 1960 with a slab foundation. Maybe 1,600 sq. feet.

Over the decades, there's been some settling--about 1 inch. Some interior waterproofing, landscaping, and a piering system could shore up the part of the house that's sinking slightly.

He quoted me a price of just under $24k to do it. (I said no for more reasons than cost, but that's another story.)

When a guitar costs more than the combined knowledge needed to drive steel piers into the ground, lift a house's foundation without breaking anything, installing the plumbing and electrical needed for a sump pump and drainage, and then putting it all back so it looks normal...

...it's an understatement to say that guitar costs too much.
                      It only 'costs too much' for folks who won't buy it. If they sell them, by definition it doesn't cost too much.

YOU think it costs too much (I do too, BTW) but that's not the same thing.

Larry

Comment

I bought my Gibson used, and I stay away from the Gibson-based forums and Facebook groups.

I think the Schecter headstock is icky, no matter how clever.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
                          Kirk Hammet sucks, LOL. I'd gladly pay 20K for Metallica to stop putting records out.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5kgc87-01.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	6250737 i made this.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                              Kirk Hammet sucks, LOL. I'd gladly pay 20K for Metallica to stop putting records out.
                              I like Kirk. But at the end of the day it was Peter Green's guitar.

Why one would want to play metal on pickups that are out of phase beats me.

My understanding is the magnets are flipped and this isn't easily reversible. I doubt he would want to alter it anyway since he paid $2 million or so for it. Even Het passed on it, so I heard.

Comment

Working...
                              X